I want to make (NOT BUY) a portable with carry handle.....??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Multi use Router/ Sanding / Grinding / Pillar drill, box table with dust extraction to incorporate my existing tools for, small onsite jobs.

I want the pride & satisfaction to make my own.....;) ;)

I am thinking of using ply 1/2" for the sides & 3/4" for the top.

I would also like to use finger joints & glue to join the sides together I am not to good at making tenon joints....;) , (what would you recommend).....??

DO you think I should reinforce the corners with 1/2" or 1" batten.....??

I an thinking of using or making a T-Track or similar for the fence & recessed into the table top for use of clamps / stops etc.

I am toying with the ideas of either making door access to adjust the height etc of the tools & or The table top hinged to give full access.

I also would ideally like all tools to have their own individual switches with the use of only one plug to the mains, with the use of one emergency stop button.

How would you go about keeping it as light as possible, but keeping the strength for durability.....??

There is nothing on the market that I can find that is suitable & I have been thinking about this & looking for over 12 months.

That said, if you know of cheap supplier(s) for parts IE: T-Track or similar etc, they will be gratefully received.

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

3. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

Have a look on youtube etc, lots of ideas on there.

4. Welshdragon1

I have seen a few I like on the Tube, but would be interested on how to keep the build as light as possible & am open to all ideas.....;) ;)

5. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

I'd probably use thinner ply - 6/9mm? - for the sides/bottom, with some reinforcing for the joins. 12mm ply will be quite heavy. Maybe figure out some sort of mounting system for the tools so you can swap them over as required.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem is that you are trying to cram to much into a portable solution. I have never seen anyone take a table that will " use Router/ Sanding / Grinding / Pillar drill" Triton make a work centre and Festool have something similar but none are light or portable.

Most people make do with some boards on trestles and then run the machines off that. I have a small router table I could take out but never do, same as I never take a pillar drill with me.

KIAB and vivaro man like this.
  7. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Boards on trestles that's the way I do it. A pillar drill? That's a heavy piece of kit! Frankly it may be too heavy and in any case there are other ways to get a nice vertical hole in a door or a board.

Construction ideas, finger joints are definitely my preference but corners would need reinforcing with steel/brass trunk corners.

You mention a router are you wanting it to convert into a router table? For years I'v used my Elu upside down in a B&D workmate. It's safe and has always produced the goods.

I like your electrical idea. Too many cords about is just plain dangerous but I'm afraid it would have to be 110v for site use and that presents a problem although you could use splitters. Get a sparkie to look at this with you because there might be something available nowadays beside a weighty knockdown box with multiple outlets.

I think this can be done but it would take some careful designing and as with most things would end up being a compromise and doing nothing really well.

I would look on Youtube and Army trained chippies are always good at this type of thing. Good luck though.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  8. Welshdragon1

Thanks guys, as always much appreciated for your input.

To clarify, the pillar drill, I meant Drill Press (My apologies), would be consisting of a timber frame bespoke made to use a removable drill, something along the line of the one in the attached video.

I like his idea of the remote switch & will look into that.....;) ;)

Looks like flea bay does a 4 channel remote switch for reasonable cost.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-4CH-C...091890?hash=item1eabb9af72:g:SzIAAOSwFNZWxEu0

9. Welshdragon1

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look on Pinterest, thousand of ideas on everythings.:)

11. Does it come with a free fire extinguisher?

12. Welshdragon1

There are plenty of lightweight drill presses that could be purchased / sourced, the old B&D kit is a perfect example of this, (You might be to young to remember them)....lol, but I want the satisfaction of making my own tbh.

It will be an all in 1 table / case, everything will be fixed in place, with the exception of the drill press as that will have to be demountable & will be made to fit inside the case when not in use.

A bit like this one without the saws

TBH, I do not get on well with pinterest, as I do not find it user friendly enough for me, but will give it a go.

I always carry a fire extinguisher & have it regularly serviced / tested at my local fire station.....;) ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I wold have a concern about your proposal for the electrics. I suggenst that you also fit an isolator with no-volt release. With your solution it would potentially possible that when plugging the bench in tools could start without warning depending on how the remotes work. If you install a no-volt release isolator than it will automatically disconnect when unplugged. I would also look to fit an RCD plug on the end of the lead.

Kind regards

14. Welshdragon1

Cheers Bazza-spark,

I will defo be using an RCD, my apologies for not mentioning that earlier....

Yes I understand your concerns about potential auto staring.....:( if that were to happen & as such quite rightly it would have to be prevented & made safe.

What Isolator would you recommend & where would I likely get one from, from a reputable source (NOT Chinese knock offs).....??

A quick search, turned up these http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/No_Volt_Release_Switches.html , what are your thoughts, as I would also require an emergency stop switch.

15. Bazza-spark

That looks fine, and I may be mistaken but it looks as though the red mushroom head may operate as an emergency stop, however a proper emergency stop wil latch with the comtacts open with a twist to release action.

If you use an RCD plug, then it will protect not only the tools but also the lead supplying the bench being the first device in the line, and give the maximum protection you can obtain for this type of equipment. http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-rcd-plug/44855

Kind regards

16. Welshdragon1

That was my thought aswell, although the description states it does, so that is a bonus.

TBH,I think that type would be better as it also prevents accidental use of the main switches, but could potentially be a pain where constant on off use is in order.

I also noticed that the different ones on the same page, are rated differently, some 18A / 16A / 8A I am wondering which would be the best amp rating to use.....??

Sadly that RCD has too many mixed reviews for my liking.....

17. Bazza-spark

I would suggest the 16A unit would be suitable. You will only be using it on a 13 amp plug so 18 is an overkill and 8 is insuficient.

The RCD plug is ok. I have used a number of them from my local Screfix (Aberdare) with no problem.

Kind regards

18. Welshdragon1

Thanks mate,

I will look at getting or sourcing a 16A unit.....;)

I will defo consider that RCD then.

The idea of this build is to do it with as little cost as possible, but with NO CUTTING CORNERS on SAFETY.....

19. Welshdragon1

After searching some more, would this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-220V-1...910388?hash=item58e9ef8474:g:wGUAAOSw6DtYTn0a be ideal for the remote switches for the build.....

The specs are

1 x 220V 4 Channel Wireless Relay Switch

Specification:
    Model: CJY-2204
    Name: Wireless Relay Switch
    1. Working voltage: AC85C-250V
    2. Operating frequency: 433MHZ
    3. Quiescent current: 8.5mA
    4. Load power: 2200W
    5. Receiving sensitivity: -105dBM
    6. Work: Jog / self-locking / interlock
    7. Output signal: four AC220V output voltage signal
    8. Coding: learning code
    9. Modulation: ASK
    10. Working temperature: -10 ° C ~ +70 ° C
    11.Channel: 4CH
    12. Wiring Method: Fixed wiring terminal
    13.Rated load: 10A 250VAC / 10A 125VAC/10A 30VDC / 10A 28VDC
    14.Dimension: 6.5cm * 3.5cm * 1.7cm

20. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I think its more practicable in making a good work top which allows for easy fitting and access to your power tools. That can be stripped down and put away easily. On site its simply supported by trestles. You would need to inset metal plates and such like to make fitting your tools accurate and easy each time.

Its doable but I wouldn't need such a thing on a job. Especially for domestics, where you need to be clean and careful, access and egress is limited. I doubt you would be allowed to take such a thing onto a building site, even if 110v. Too many exposed blades and such.