ideal classic RS250 kettling

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by cypher007, Nov 26, 2014.

1. cypher007

cypher007 New Member

ok had a new unvented tank fitted and system changed from gravity to fully pumped.

initially the plumber connected to the original gravity connections on the boiler and got the flow and return the wrong way resulting in trapped air, probably in the heat exchanger.

anyway that's been sorted, they connected to the fully pumped flow and return connections that they capped off originally and I don't have the trickling bubbling noises. what I do have is kettling still.

so ive tried x800 for about 18 hours, put it through each rad one at a time with the pump on high then left it standing in the system overnight. put heating on for 1 hour in the morning emptied refilled run for another hour, emptied refilled. then I added x100 and x200.

to be honest looking at the water coming out I don't think its a sludge issue, plus my rads get toasty now the boiler is flowing the right way round. what im thinking is maybe because the boiler probably didn't have a full heat eachanger for about 3 weeks its scaled up really bad. if im patient do you guys think the x200 will do its thing? should I put another tub in, as ive actually got 12 rads, but some are tiny and only 1 is a tall double and 2 are short?

im wondering about draining down and adding the x200 directly to the heat exchanger or would vinegar work better?

p.s. the plumber recons its knackered and needs replacing, hmm [​IMG] really. must want to quote me for a nice new boiler after doing such a good job on the unvented.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Try a dose of Fernox F2 its a noise reducer which sometimes improves the situation but not always. Dont forget that is an old boiler and as your plumber says has probably done its best work and is looking for retirement. Certainly worth considering long term.

3. cypher007

cypher007 New Member

ive tried x200. is f2 better?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No Idea I dont tend to use Sentinal a lot mostly Fernox. If its a noise reducer then it has to be left in permanently and will take a while to work, sounds like your in the process of flushing everything out.

5. cypher007

cypher007 New Member

ive done some temp monitoring of the flow temps with the return differential:

ok pump on setting 3

system had been on an hour about 2 hours earlier.

0 min 31 diff 6
    5 min 36 diff 8
    7 min kettling
    10 min 41 diff 9
    15 min 45 diff 9
    20 min 49 diff 9-10
    25 min 51 diff 8
    30 min 58 diff 12
    35 min 62 diff 12-13
    40 min 64 diff 11
    boiler stat trip at about 65
    45 min 63 diff 10
    boiler stat trip at 69
    50 min 67 diff 10
    55 min 69 diff 14

6. cypher007

cypher007 New Member

ok had some time to run the system up tonight.

pump setting 2:

0min 22 flow pump running boiler off diff 0
    1min boiler on 1min later boiler making low hissing sound

5min 34 diff 9
    7min kettling
    10min 38 diff 9-10
    15min 43 diff 10
    20min 46 diff 10
    25min 50 diff 11
    30min 53 diff 12
    35min 57 diff 13
    40min 62 diff 14
    45min 67 diff 16
    50min 71 diff 17-18
    last reading just before timer turned off, the boiler stat was about to trip also, roughly 90secs after the 50min reading 73 flow diff 19.

so it seems the higher the flow temp goes the bigger the differential.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014