ideal isar problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by shooter, Jun 3, 2010.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

Hi All,

My daughters Ideal Isar he24 is playing up yet a
    gain. Heating works fine but DHW has the following problem. When water is drawn off burner lights for a short while, water starts to come through warm then burner goes off even though water is still being drawn off. Burner will light again and this continues without the water getting very hot. No fault codes come up on the display. I changed the dhw thermistor a couple of months ago. so wouldn't have thought it was that, but suggestions welcome. Boiler is 4 yrs old and only had light use

tia

2. graceland

graceland Active Member

maybe slight blockage in dhw plate heat x? when water getting blocked going thru its overheating then starting again?

3. shooter

shooter New Member

Thanks for that graceland. Is it worth taking it out and soaking overnight in white vinegar than flushing through?

4. graceland

graceland Active Member

could try. will be scaled up presumably. the alternative is a new one so may as well have a crack. i dont know whether white vinegar would do it, let us all know if it works ok

5. bit of advice 2

bit of advice 2 New Member

Is there a filter on this that can be cleaned out firstly before money is spent?

wouldnt no myself as have only changed pcb's on these.

6. graceland

graceland Active Member

7. shooter

shooter New Member

Had the plate heat x out a couple of months back to change the hydrobloc seals as they were leaking. Wouldn't have thought it would have been scaled up as it has had limited use over four years. Annoying thing is I saw a brand new one on fleaybay still sealed which went for a fiver. It cost me more than that for the seals!.

Rather than buy another exchanger I am thinking of getting another boiler as these must be the worst on the market.

8. graceland

graceland Active Member

yeah not great but heat Xs have been known to scale up in 6 months!

9. graceland

graceland Active Member

is it not worth at least having a look at heat X before u consider new boiler?

10. shooter

shooter New Member

Will see if soaking and flushing will sort it. A new exchanger is about £100 but you can get them off fleabay for £50 + post. This boiler has gone wrong so many times that I don't want to throw good money after bad.

11. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

I succesfully descaled a heat x using domestic descaling liquid (sell it in supermarkets for doing kettles etc).

It was only to get him through winter, he's got a new boiler now.

If I were you I'd test the DHW thermistor first though, that would be my first port of call.

12. The Falcon

The Falcon New Member

One side of the plate heat exchanger will be for the heating water ,this needs to be washed out properly with vigorous shaking to remove any magnetite that maybe inside ,once this has been done fill with kilrock or spirit of salts and wait until it stops foaming.

wash out again with water to neautralize any acid inside and then you can refit

Alot of times its not scale but installation debris or sludge in the plate which stops the transfer of heat

13. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

save your money SCRAP IT in my opinion one of the worst boilers ever made (and the icos)

MH

14. shooter

shooter New Member

Thanks for that Falcon. Will try it over weekend. Thermistor is new but will test it. MH I am inclined to agree but will try this once as a tempory fix.

15. graceland

graceland Active Member

what happened?

16. bit of advice 2

bit of advice 2 New Member

He is probably sorted - we cant give advice and then expect a thank you and an explanation of what happened.

We cant expect people to have manners!!

17. graceland

graceland Active Member

18. Kaveh

Kaveh New Member

I had the same issue with my HE24, took your advice and bought a plate DHW X and it solved the issue, it looked like it had been done once before as there were screws missing off the boiler.
    I know people say these bikers are **** but they are cheap to maintain so i can't justify replacing it, maybe if it starts becoming troublesome (been at the property for less than a year)

Thanks for the advice guys.

19. Kaveh, when the P2P exchanger blocks up, it's usually to do with gunge in the central heating pipework and rads, so not really the boiler's fault.

If you think it's happened before - this is the second exchanger - then good chance it'll happen again in a couple of years.

Worth fitting an in-line magnetic filter and some chemicals if you don't already have one?

20. Kaveh

Kaveh New Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply Dave, There's already a magnetic filter fitted. Was thinking about fitting a Monarch Scaleout filter but not sure if they are any good.

Not sure if the chemicals would help as the central heating chamber looked ok, it's only hot water that had the issue.

I'm going to descale the old one and keep it just in case