Ideal Logic combi 35 loosing pressure on gauge ( isolated problem to Boiler)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bond007, Jul 11, 2015.

1. "The SOGA / Consumers Rights Act does not cover house purchases or the items within them."

The house, no - 'cos that should have a 10-year warranty from an established org or by individual indemnity.

But surely the bits inside?! What's you saying - the washing machine bought with the house which came with only a 1-year warranty is only covered for that duration?

That has got to be wrong, surely?

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

So we have gone from a boiler loosing pressure to a consumer rights act on this thread lol.

Urm I have never heard of a 10 year warranty on a house, are the builders stepping up their game to provide house warranty now?
    Just encase a brick fails of course. lol

Sorry i am being pedantic i know but i just found that funny somehow.

3. I know a lot of peeps will snort at the NHBC organisation who provide a 10-year warranty on many (most?) new builds, as they reckon they ain't got no teeth when an issue comes up.

But, would you buy a brand new build with no warranty other than, say, a 1-year jobbie?! No, nor would I.

Smaller builders often go with other organisations for this 10-year cover, but they almost certainly will need something as you wouldn't even be able to get a mortgage on a new build without this.

4. Greyone

Greyone New Member

Thanks for all your input and all, but I ant got a clue what your on about and your Boiler or washing machine isn't covered by the NHBC for ten years lol, actually domestic appliances aren't covered at all by the NHBC, just by any appliance manufactures guarantee.

Unless Logic Boilers sold you your boiler directly from the factory (Which they don't do) they have no legal obligation within the SOGA or the Consumers rights Act. Logic Boilers only have to up hold their guarantee, which is offered FOC but you have to adhere to their terms and conditions (registration and servicing) "Honest, its true"

Anyway that's me done now and the house is once again warm and for anyone with a Logic or Logic Plus .. keep an eye on your heat exchanger (Heat Motor) .. I hear that the latest top spec Ideal boilers now have stainless steel exchangers and come with a ten year warranty.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Yes that registration and service is a big thing but even after you do all that. They still have to come out and investigate to prove it really is a manufacturers defect. The part maybe replaced but they do not cover the labour so one way or another you have to pull out your cash.

And if it was not a manufacturers defect then you have to part with even more cash. You have little or no way of backing out from the call out too. pigs that what they are.

6. We are actually on about the same thing. But we disagree about one part.

Yes, the 10-year house warranty is chust for the house - in case there's serious issues at large.

The goods and appliances within - boiler, white goods etc. are probably not covered by this, but absolutely are covered b y the SoG Act.

Should any appliance fail after, say, 2 years when it only has a 1-year 'warranty', then the supplier/installer/whatever is liable and can be forced to sort this.

Most peeps just don't bother.

If you had a boiler fitted in your house which had, say, a 2-year warranty and it goes kaput due to a manufacturing defect after 3 years, you'd have a valid claim under the SoG Act.

Are you telling me that that somehow isn't the case just because the bludy machine was put in to a brand new house?

7. Greyone

Greyone New Member

A valid claim against who .. where's my receipt for the boiler and who did I pay the monies to, to form a contract. Forgot, I paid for a house who's boiler was part of the fixtures and fitting and exempt from the SOGA and again unless the manufacturer of the boiler sold it you directly, you have no redress under the SOGA or Consumers Rights Act.

No disrespect but you really need to research consumer law a little more.

8. No need to get sarcy.

As with the SoG, your claim under CRA would (as you've rightly pointed out) be against the supplier - the house builder in this case.

I cannot find anything that states that appliances sold with new houses are not covered by the CRA for some bizarre reason - that new builds are exempt from the CRA.

Are you saying that new builds are exempt? If so, where did you get this info from?

I am not saying that they most definitely are covered, 'cos I just don't know. But I'd be very surprised if for some bizarre reason appliances in new builds were except from the CRA - that just wouldn't make sense.

(Barratts offer a 10-year structural warranty and a 2-year g'tee for internal items. If your 'Barratt' boiler were to fail after 2 years of normal use, you'd accept that?)

9. Greyone

Greyone New Member

Contact your local Consumers Advice department. (Trading Standards) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1282904/HOME-TRUTHS-Im-spin-broken-washing-machine.html

Now back to Ideal and their boilers .. I had a reply today and to be fair, they do offer support for "out of warranty" repairs subject to one of their engineers diagnosing the problem and full service history and registration of the faulty boiler.

Ideal offer a one of repair payment of either £275.00 or £310.00.. The £275.00 is for a one off repair or the £310.00 is for the repair and an additional 12month warranty on the all the boiler components.. Both include parts, labour and vat and Ideal can arrange four quarterly instalments and given that a heat exchanger can cost £400.00 for the part and up to 3 hours labour to replace, I personally think this is a good offer from Ideal, especially with any past usage of the boiler. Past usage that any court would take into account and go against you for a full claim of costs against the seller. Its called "betterment"

My boiler is all sorted now by British Gas and a very nice repair to, but hats off to Ideal for this out of warranty support. Even though the email reply wasn't the quickest. lol

10. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

Alot of boiler manufacturers offer 10year parts warranty on the heat exchanger even if you only had 2 years on the appliance. I assume ideal do not offer this? probably dont because they know the figures on how many failures they have had.Ideal engineers can change a logic hex in 40mins.

Ideal is probably the largest new build boiler supplier, new build builders go for cost saving with every item, appliances included. sadly the like of nhbc offer little bite with the 10year covers, most let the builder self cert there own work which is a really stupid idea. ive worked on new builds on and off for 16 years. if you want to see poor workmanship its the place to look.

11. Greyone

Greyone New Member

The only Boiler Manufacture I can find offering a ten year guarantee are the Ideal Vogue range of boilers http://idealboilers.com/installer/boilers/system-boilers/vogue-system/ and they use a stainless steel heat exchanger.

Even Worcester Bosch only have 2-5 and 7 year warranties https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/guarantee-terms-and-conditions and have a simular "just out of warranty" scheme as Ideal, with a fixed price repair http://www.superhomes.org.uk/forum/topic/condensing-boiler-reliability-2/

To be honest other than this exchanger problem our ideal logic 35 hasn't had any problems after four years and has run well and efficient and the builders installation seems pretty well done and even the British Gas engineers who have serviced it in that past have commented on the excellent installation. But I was pretty miffed to find out about the problem heat exchangers, reflected in my past posts, but that was worry thinking the leak was behind the walls, but has mentioned the installation of the system was good.

Now with more knowledge and even if your not on a service maintenance plan, I think the fixed price charged by Ideal to replace such a major component out of manufacturers warranty, is very fair.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

13. Jay Jones

Jay Jones New Member

Hello,

I have the same issue with my ideal logic combi boiler 35. Have to top up the pressure on almost a daily basis, i have isolated the boiler and the pressure still drops so it must be a problem with the boiler. I don't have/cant find a condensate pipe, i can see that you said it may go directly into the drain outside but i cant see anything flowing into it.

I called ideal and they said i have two options for repair, costing either 275 or 295 over 4 months. Including parts and labour, they even specifically quoted the heat exchange included. However, when i spoke about this forum and others they said that this isn't a known fault and there is no way we would fix this free of charge (made me think if thats the case then we throw in a £400 heat exchange for what seems like free or very cheap?). I am doing my utmost to be very polite and insistent but they will not acknowledge that the fault lies with them and they should fix it.

Could you please offer some advice on what to do next?

Cheers,

Jay

14. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Jay, Ideal know that they had a problem with their logic h/e from about 2010-2013. The first Logics had 5 year warranties, latest ones have 7 year. Continue to be polite but insistent, and they should come and sort it for you. I've installed a lot of these logics and have had a fair few with this problem - once explained they pitch up without a murmur and fix foc. When you talk to someone sensible at Ideal everything should be fine - I guess you've not been able to get to anyone sensible yet?

15. Jay Jones

Jay Jones New Member

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

So far ideal are saying it isn't a manufacturing fault so they won't fix it FOC. I first had this problem about a year ago, when I called ideal then I had the same response I am getting now. However, after seeing Bond007 get his fixed FOC and you have reinforced that this looks like a common issue then they should fix ours too surely?

I have a case open with them, it would help me greatly if I could get some info on bond007's fix. They I could tell them to look up the file. I don't seem to be as lucky to get anyone who will help me out.

Is there any evidence you have to backup what you said about the known issue between 2010-2013? Our boiler was installed 2012 and had 2 years warranty, not 5 or 7.

Cheers,

Jay

16. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Remind me to post

17. Hey Jay.

Your boiler is only 4 years old? In that case you have them bang to rights with the new Consumer's Thingy Law.

But first of all keep trying the original contact, but make it clear that you know you are covered as this significant component should simply not fail within such a short period; it ain't fit for purpose/adequate quality or whatever the new term is...

Not a bad idea to go to CA's website and look at their example complaint letter formats; they use the simple-but-correct legal terms to use.

Bottom line is, they fix it for you FOC, or you'll get one of their approved service agents to do so, pay them, but then sue them for the full cost. And will post all about how carp they are on social media...

18. Please post.

19. echelon101

echelon101 Member

We have an Ideal Independent C35 for our home, previously tenants. The boiler was purchased in 2010, so out of warranty. We had a similar issue to what has previously been discussed. There was no run off from the PRV. I checked this using the plastic bag method.

The boiler would drop about 0.5bar every month and when I opened the case when the boiler was off there was ponded water. I had a plumber come have a look (£80 for two hours). Apparently, water was leaking on the main intake side, which he fixed. There was also a v. small leak on the heating side but apparently that would have required the heat exchanger coming out, so it's interesting to read the above. At the moment, the boiler drops about 0.5bar every three months when I drain the top rad of air (about 10s of the nut fully open).