Ideal Logik + wireless digital thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bond007, Dec 15, 2014.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

I am wondering if you can recommend me a wireless digital thermostat for my Ideal Logik+ boiler.
    Which one would be best suitable and compatible? Value for money one.

I currently have a manual wall thermostat.

Also are they fairly easy to wire up?

Thanks

2. Hi Bond.

I'm not familiar with that boiler, nor can I recommend the best wireless prog stat. But, wiring them up is usually very easy.

See the cable going to your manual 'stat? The receiver part of the wireless 'stat essentially gets connected to these wires, and it could even be mounted in that place on the wall if you wanted. But, it is usual to mount the receiver much closer to the boiler.

Do you know where that wall 'stat cable goes? How does it get connected to the boiler - is there a wiring box somewhere?

Anyways, once the receiver is wired to the same wires as the current 'stat, the actual 'stat part will be battery operated and can be placed anywhere.

Actually, why do you want 'wireless' anyways? You could fit a normal 'wired' digital 'stat where the current one is.

3. bond007

Hi
    The receiver part connects at the end of the manual wall stat wires or connects in the boiler along with the existing wires?
    I think there is a wiring box, i was going to take pictures and show the current setup once i have been recommended which wireless digital thermostat to go for compatible with my boiler.

I wanted a wireless one so i can take it the bedroom on an night and unfortunately my current wall mounted stat is in the conservatory so its not cost effective to run it from there as in the winter its mostly cold.

Thanks

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Your stat connections will be in the boiler somewhere, remove them and connect the receiver relay in its place the receiver will need live and neutral to operate on mine there was an option for 230v switching (for older boilers) or a 0v switching for more modern ones.

FatHands likes this.
  5. bond007

Hi
    Is there a easy way to locate the stat connection wiring in the boiler?
    So in essence only 2 wires need connecting from the receiver to the boiler?

Thanks

6. Are there any motorised valves on your system? If so, there's a good chance there's a wiring centre somewhere, probably near the boiler. This is a box where all the cables go to to be connected - it can be a bit daunting when you first take off the lid.

If there ain't one, it'll likely be as Eric says.

So - have a looksee and report back please.

7. Please reprot back on my earlier post first - don't jump t'gun.

Yes, it's usually easy to trace the wires - if you have an installation booklet (which can be found on t'net if you don't have one yourself.)

You will almost certainly require 3 wires in total - two are the power supply (L & N) and the third is the 'switched live' to control the boiler.

BUT you need to tell us what's already there - what sort of timer/programmer does your boiler have, for instance?

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I have a similar problem to solve in my house. I installed a wood burner in the lounge earlier in the year, the lounge is now nice and warm but as the CH stat. is in the lounge the rest of the house is freezing!
    I thought about going the wireless route but on second thoughts I think i'll extend the stat. wires and run them into the hallway and position the stat. there.

9. bond007

Like i sad i will take pictures and post them so you can visualize my set up.
    My timer control is wall mounted and thermostat is located in conservatory.

I have been reconmeneded to get SALUS RT500RF - PROGRAMMABLE ROOM THERMOSTAT WITH RF

Anyone have any experience with these in installation terms?

Thanks

10. Cough - just turn your 'stat up... :p

11. Bond, I'm sure that Salus is perfectly fine.

You want it programmable too - ie it does the timings as well as temps? In which case you either remove the old timer control or else leave it set to 'on 24hrs'.

How is your heating controlled - by this same timer (hot cylinder) or do you have a combi boiler?

(SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A WIRING CENTRE!)

12. flateric

If its a combi boiler it will be easy if not its a bit more complicated you will have to go into the heating JB and locate them, it will probably treble and earth.......... But not always ???????????

13. flateric

Do it the flateric way sen a wireless stat Sooooooooooooooooooo lazy [​IMG]

14. bond007

It a combi boiler by the way, i will open it up and take a few pics..

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Does the wiring control look like this?

Ideal Logic.jpg

16. bond007

Guys,

I have uploaded all the pics my current setup.

So which wires will I have to disconnect from the boiler PCB in order to connect the wires of the wireless digital thermostat?
    I dont seem to have a thermostat loop in my setup?
    Will i have to connect the reciever wiring to a mains feed too along with in the boiler?

Also i have 2 wall mounted manual thermostat but currently only ONE is working (conservatory one). According to the wiring is it cos only one is connected up?

Lastly will the timer (img 1520) be totally disconnected once i wire up the wireless digital thermostat?

How do i know what my installation setup is, 230V AC Installation or 24V Installation?

Thanks in advance

P.s Instruction manual for the RT500RF ( page 6&7 )
    http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/product_extra_files/RT500RF User Guide.pdf

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  17. bond007

Anyone answer my previous comment?

18. Got to dash - but the Salus can be wired 240 or 24v.

19. bond007

What about rest of questions I have asked?

20. Pushy...

See image 1515? Can you take the cover off that middle box and tak' a photie?

So which wires will I have to disconnect from the boiler PCB in order to connect the wires of the wireless digital thermostat?

Don't know yet - we need to see inside that wiring centre. See the timer in the kitchen(?), do you want to keep that or remove it? If you keep it, it will need setting to on 24hrs.

I dont seem to have a thermostat loop in my setup?

Really? Does the thermostat in the connie actually do anything? Yes? Then you have a thermostat loop in your setup.

Will i have to connect the receiver wiring to a mains feed too along with in the boiler?

No. There should be all the wires you need within that wiring box. Whether it's easy to determine which one is which is another matter.

Also i have 2 wall mounted manual thermostat but currently only ONE is working (conservatory one). According to the wiring is it cos only one is connected up?

Which is the other one - that one mounted alongside the main switch and wiring box? If so, I suspect that's a frost 'stat, in which case it will be wired in, and should remain so.

Lastly will the timer (img 1520) be totally disconnected once i wire up the wireless digital thermostat?

That depends on you. But best if it's removed.

How do i know what my installation setup is, 230V AC Installation or 24V Installation?

It'll likely all be 240V.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014