Ideas for our Gutted Kitchen?

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by stitch-up, Oct 24, 2014.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

We've recently purchased an ageing property in need of more than TLC throughout!

We decided to get cracking on the kitchen

[​IMG]

Ripped the lino tiles of the floor and horrible plastic coated wallpaper off the walls. The floor isn't level and the walls aren't square - nothng's square! We also started to remove the old white tiles and stopped after 12 or so because it was an absolute pita to do.

[​IMG]

The remaining units will be removed - they're just useful at present

My partner Angie would like the sink beneath the window so she can gaze out at the garden and imagine how things could have been better :)

the kitchen floor area measures 444cms long by 336cms wide.

Any ideas guys?

PS we have professionals working on the rest of the property and just thought we should at least contribute some effort :)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A 'C' shaped kitchen will fit your needs, these are quite economical.

They are based with the fridge/freezer on wall, sink on another and the cooker on another wall.

The cooker hood is best fitted using a ducting. You could take your plan and measurements to Homebase, they do a free design service and may help with storage areas.

You need to decide about your appliances whether the cooker is a free standing one or built in same as with the fridge.

Once you have decided about the appliances, you need to plan for the electrics, whether the cooker is a gas or electric, in any case its best to put in a separate radial circuit for the cooker, most kitchens are usually supplied on a ring.

A kitchen refit is quite a big job as it requires all trades of work.

3. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

One table, Two chairs, One gun (A Six shooter) , Three bullets ............... Russian roulette springs to mind :D ............ Just kidding I am not very creative ..... But that is what I would do ............ or Let the pro's sort it out :D

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

[/QUOTE] A kitchen refit is quite a big job as it requires all trades of work.[/QUOTE]

I take it you will be eating take-a-ways for some time.:)

Don't go mad with the number of sockets needed, but ensure there is one nearby.

I used a grid switch system in my kitchen, which removes the need for FCUs near to appliances i.e. washing machine, fridge, freezer etc.

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Did you take precautions when removing tiles?, asbestos!.

6. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

The last time I fitted a kitchen was some years ago and it took me ages but, I did gut the whole room out including pulling the ceiling down. Then worked on chasing all the pipes and cables into the walls in bricks that are the hardest I've ever known. Plastered walls, tiled floor and then started to fit new units and appliances.

Attached Files:

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Cheb, you chased all pipes into the walls?? Was it an Ikea kitchen you bought?

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Well, All except for the cold water feed for the sink you can see on the wall. Kitchen units were supplied by Wickes. I sourced everything else from various places for best price.

The oven you can see is a Stoves. There is only one thing I can say about that, I'll never buy another one.