IEC lead

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Stevie john D, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Stevie john D

Stevie john D New Member

Our newly trained pat tester has said we cannot use the IEC lead to 13 amp outlet because it is not fused. This not only makes it hard for us to get power on site but I have seen them for sale in the uk so surely they must be ok? any help is appreciated thanks

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Is the fuse not in the plug like just about every other lead?

3. Stevie john D

Stevie john D New Member

It's 13 amp outlet not plug top

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is the feed fused up or down line?

5. Stevie john D

Stevie john D New Member

Basically the iec goes into an iec multiplug in the back of a control panel, this is fused internally, we then put our scope, laptop etc into the 13 amp outlet so the device has a fused 13 amp plug top. I personally can't see a problem but he says because the 1m long lead isn't fused it can't be tested so can't be used. As I say I have see them for sale at kenable.co.uk. But I'm not sure if they can be pat tested, as all of our kit needs to be. Thanks

6. peter palmer

Dont get it, an IEC lead is a kettle type lead no? So how can it not be fused if its 13A then seen as they manufacture a 13A fuse but not a 13A MCB, sounds contradictory.

7. peter palmer

Ask him how he pat tests all the 16A or 110V commando type leads

Stevie john D likes this.
  8. Stevie john D

Stevie john D New Member

Sorry it's an iec male lead that plugs into an iec female outlet

9. Stevie john D

Stevie john D New Member

That was exactly my point! Thanks I thought I was going stupid

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

There is no problem at all, it can be tested like everything else and is fine to be put into service.

Incidentally, the standard IEC lead we all know is rated to 10amps.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Stevie john D

Stevie john D New Member

Thank you,

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

IEC leads aren't fused, or I've never seen one that was.

tore81 and Stevie john D like this.
  13. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

You can buy a 13A plug top IEC Lead without a fuse in the plug but there only to be used in IT server rooms were they plug into a server unit with RCD and MCB protection. You just test as a normal lead.

Stevie john D likes this.
  14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Steve

If he pinches the lead from a kettle he can plug the male IEC end into that and test to his hearts content.

Not having a fuse doesn't prevent it being tested.

Being newly trained he has no experience so is clutching at straws and waffling to get out of a situation he doesn't understand.

He could always take situations like this to the people who trained him for advice.

Kind regards

15. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

use a tested iec plug to female lead to join the iec male to female in a extension style through the pat tester (after all how do you test extension leads using a tested iec plug top lead)