Ikea Kitchen Rail, What screws to use?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by conoral11, Jun 14, 2017.

1. conoral11

conoral11 New Member

Hi there,

I'm installing an ikea kitchen, having had all of our service modified to fit with out service voids, and plan on using the rail system to hang units to the wall.

I have block walls with plaster/render and wanted to know what screws/fixings to use.

The instructions say to use non counter sunk screws, so pan head or flanged however i'm not sure what size is suitable, and if they work with standard Rawlplugs or not.

Anyone had any experience with these?

Best Wishes

Conoral11

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

METOD suspension rail has a fitting plate, so a No 8 roundhead screw should fit it, length 50mm to 65mm.

conoral11 likes this.
  3. conoral11

conoral11 New Member

KIAB,

Thanks for the info, it appears screwfix don't sell screws in that size, maxining out at ~50mm. The screws I took out of the wall where 60mm in length.

Any recommened suppliers?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A No 8 would be 4mm metric equivalent,you might even get away with a No 10 (5mm), you might even get away using a Turbo coach screw, which is what I use (link below) to fit a different brand of cabinet hanging rail, but I haven't seen the clips for the Ikea one, so could be wrong.
    Wander into your nearest SF with your clips & try them in the screws, pretty sure you be ok.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/turbocoach-screws-yellow-zinc-plated-8-x-60mm-50-pack/5879g

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had the time to google for Ikea hanging rail & Youtube last night, & I spotted the mistake that peeps are doing, they are using the adjustment clips on the rail & not fitted inside the cabinet for adjustment,this is what confused me,so I reckon you should be ok for for a Turbo Coach Screw, might even get away with a 6x60mm one.

upload_2017-6-16_8-10-48.jpeg

6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

KIAB, the adjustment clips do go on the rail. the cabinets hang from fixed brackets on the rail and as long as you have the rail level (KEY POINT) then it's fine.

Image straight from IKEA's website
    upload_2017-6-16_8-58-41.png

The adjustment plates help you level the rail.
    When getting screws make sure the head is quite large, countersunk screws tend to twist on the adjustment plates, that's why they say not to use them, but a 5x50 or 60 will be fine. I've just installed mine and the rail system is really easy and far better than the alternatives on a stud wall. Block walls should offer more support as you can drill anywhere.

One word of advice, the rails are a pain to cut, lots of work by hand and difficult with a jigsaw due to their form. I used an angle grinder with a slitting blade to make life easier.
    Also when you are working out the height of the rail, don't go for the minimum it says in the book, that makes the plinth difficult to get in, so go for a few mm higher.

Have you chosen IKEA worktops to go with it?

cybervic likes this.
  7. conoral11

conoral11 New Member

CraigMck,

Yes we've chosen some Ikea worktops, we are getting them made to measure as we can get matching upstands that way. Making our own hob/sink cutouts however.

I've got a mixture of studwall and block wall to go into and hencse the reason i'm using the rail system all over.

Its a shame screwfix themself don't to 5x50-60 screws with a round head. I am assuming I can't use machine bolts and self tapping screws are required for rawl plugs?

Thank you for the advice on the height marks! I've got my floor to level before I can start making height marks for the rails. Not too long now!

Kiab,

Some of the ikea units I've used in the bathroom that are wall mounted use an adaptor plate on the brackes to allow movement, and I beleieve you can do the same with kitchen units if you are not rail mounting them. Thanks for checking it out.

Conoral11

cybervic and KIAB like this.
  8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I used Reisser from toolstation, you would be fine with them, or the equiv Turbo gold from screwfix, just a bit of care when tightening them up and it's fine.

One last point, if you have a corner cabinet, put the back foot on before you put the cabinet in place, otherwise it's impossible to reach it unless you have really long arms!

cybervic likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, that's something I've learnt today,just go to show peeps don't know how to use the clips properly, as to cutting rail, I'm another who uses grinder with slitting blade.

And regrards to the Turbo coach screws, just had rummage in workshop & they are 6x60mm I'm using for the hanging rail here.

cybervic likes this.
  10. KomalSoft

KomalSoft New Member

Hello #Conoral11,

Probably your project is long over. I happened to come across your post as I had the same query - size of the screws for the ikea rail.

following advice here I used 6x60 pan head with 8mm plugs and I placed them 20cms apart. The cabinets are doing well on the wall so far.... touch wood.

However, I had been to ikea yesterday and discovered that they do sell screws for the rails - typically, they do not advertise it as - for the rails... Check this link -

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...xa-260-piece-screw-and-plug-set-art-00169249/

it is one with plugs they do a non plug pack as well. What makes it interesting is that the screws are 5mm (not 6 like suggested here). But the plugs are great as they work on all sorts of walls.

I so wish I had seen it as it would have saved me the stress of trying to find information and then worrying about my diy job...

I do hope this helps someone who is looking for the same answers that we did.

craig ferguson and cybervic like this.
  11. craig ferguson

craig ferguson New Member

A few years down the line, & your advice has helped me. Thank you.

12. AlexES

AlexES New Member

I would trust the box they sell to be perfect because they are so worried about the legal problems of providing wall fixings that they don’t include them. Their official line is of course the best advice, you need to use the correct fixings for your particular wall and situation. Complete pain though really, i wish there was just a weight guide included to help estimate what an average wall unit weighs and can hold…

I live by the sea and I am am looking at using 6x60 stainless steel washer heads but I am not sure if the stainless is a good idea or not. I have read that the low carbon content can actually make the stainless screws weaker although they are supposed to be stronger under tensile stress…

13. garnerfor

garnerfor New Member

Use standard wood screws, or deck screws, size 8 or 10, logn enough to go through the rail, through your drywall and about 2 inches into the studs ... 3 or 3.5 inch should be about long enough.

14. garnerfor

garnerfor New Member

The big box stores usually sell cabinet hanging screws in a box of 25ish. Overpriced though. forpc.onl minecraft pocket edition pc