Immersion heater lukewarm water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Conor79, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

Hi
    I had an immersion heater timer switch that broke and the water heater fuse blew at the same time. I replaced the fuse and installed a new immersion heater timer switch. All seems to be working fine with that power light indicates there is power going to it fine. But since installation the water from the water heater is only slightly warm even when using oil to heat the water. Any ideas what problem could be? Heating element damaged when fuse blew?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

when you stated " using oil " are you talking about an oil fired boiler that heats water in a cylinder ,and you also have the electric immersion element ? and if either is used you only get slightly warm water ??

3. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

Yeah the oil fired boiler central heating and also the electric immersion switch which I have replaced with a timer switch to heat the water up at different times during the day eg bath time for kids without using the oil fired boiler.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so the switch controls both or just the immersion heater ? if both were working ok before it sounds as though the problem is switch. and if water is actually getting warmed but not as hot as you are used to ,are you sure it is on long enough ,are set timings correct ?

5. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

This is the timer I bought. It should heat the water independently from the oil fired boiler as and when required when turned on. I have it set to turn on for 2 hrs in the evening which should be more than enough to heat the water and also used the boost feature for extra 2 hrs but still on getting lukewarm water. I have a feeling something is wrong with the switch. If I had it wired up incorrectly would I still have power operating the switch?

Attached Files:

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

OK, in order for me to figure out exactly what your problem is please answer each question below ............ 1. did fuse blow ,and the old timer then not work after fuse was replaced, or had it stopped working some time before fuse blew................ 2. have you tried to get boiler to heat the water in the cylinder recently ,and that does not work either ? if answer is yes ,when was the last time boiler did give you hot water. 3. do you have a multi meter to test electrics ,and are you conversant with how to use it ?
    4. where is fuse located ,the one that blew, on the circuit . ......can u post pic ,in close up ,of the wiring in the timer ?

7. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

1. Not sure if old timer was faulty 1st or fuse blew 1st only noticed that after replacing old timer which was faulty as on/off slide button broke.

2. The boiler has been only been on in morning recently and ive only been able to check water in evening when home from work - possible that is why water is lukewarm as it's from heating in the morning - last time water was properly hot was Friday as last timer was constantly stuck in on position.

3. Friend has multi meter who can check electrics for me.

4. Fuse that blew was in main fuse box in house - was a 20 or 30amp fuse - will post pictures of wiring when I get home from work this evening.

Cheers!

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so I think you usually only use the immersion heater , and the boiler not giving you hot water may be a separate issue completely ,so we concentrate on the immersion and timer. it seems to me that the fuse ( rating unknown at this stage ) has not blown because the slide mechanism failed , but because of a fault on the circuit .immersion heating element is a distinct possibility . when fuse was replaced has it remained OK ,just blown once ? first thing you should check ( friend with multimeter ) is voltage at immersion element . line (live ) to neutral should be 240 volts , when timer is in the " on " position . then measure voltage neutral to earth . and then line to earth. record findings and report back. the next stage ,WITH POWER OFF ,would be measuring resistance across the element terminals . The voltage readings will reveal if timer is energising the elements as it should. the resistance readings will tell us if the element has failed.

9. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

Will do that terrymac and will let you know the readings I get! Will probably be Saturday before I get a chance to check these readings but will post them as soon as.
    Appreciate your help and time.

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

your welcome mate ,good luck .

11. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

So finally got round to looking at this water heater switch and took the cover of the switch and noticed 1 of the wires wasn't secured in properly!! Must have come out when trying to put switch on the wallmount! Fixed wire in securely and hey presto very warm water!

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

well conor79 ,glad your sorted .but you ain't getting no prizes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:ha ha....PS bet you didn't tell the missus she had no hot water for days cos of what you did !!

13. Conor79

Conor79 New Member

Well lesson learnt check the simple things 1St!! What the Mrs doesn't know won't hurt her! All she knows is I fixed the hot water and that's how I'll keep it!

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

ha ha , like it mate .o_O

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

She will think you are a electrical wizard and have you doing all sorts