Immersion heater problems

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Reno, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Reno

Reno New Member

Hot water is not being heated effectively by the immersion  heater (water is warm). The following have been replaced - cylinder thermostat, immersion heater element and DP immersion heater switch (neon light not working) All thermostats have been turned to max.

The cylinder is also seperately serviced by LPG heating and water - water heats properly with gas system.

Any ideas guys? Electrical wiring problems?

Thank you

Reno

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I reckon it must  heat up properly with the gas - especially as the cyl stat is turned to the max
    Nice try for a windup Reno - ;)

3. Reno

Reno New Member

Sorry J.P - this is not a wind up. I have to turn my gas system on to heat the water properly. The problem is with the electrical system only (immersion heater only) - only heats the water to a lukewarm temperature. Before the neon light on the water switch blew, the electrical system (immersion heater) did workproblem . I have no problem with gas heating, but wish to be able to use immersion heater only.
    Thanks

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Dodgy thermostat x 2.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I rest my case -

6. Reno

Reno New Member

Thanks, - both thermostats are new - could it be that heat is being generated by the wiring or connection (control) box fault ?

Take it the cylinder thermostati is working properly as it allows the gas heating to heat up water properly.

Thanks 

7. Reno

Reno New Member

What i'm infering is that it is an electrical fault that caused the neon light to cease working !

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I don't really know Reno - but I always thought that a neon had gas inside it?

9. Mr. Handyandy

JP are you suggesting that the neon stopped working because of a mains gas problem ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

DONT REST YOUR CASE JP, KEEP UP THE GUUD WORK.  WE NEED YOU IN CHARGE:)

11. Reno

Reno New Member

You are correct J.P. - there is gas in a neon light and at both ends of it there are metal electrodes. When you apply a high voltage to the electrodes the neon gas ionizes and electrons flow through the gas, This causes the atoms to emit red light that we can see....... but it still doesnt solve my problem !

12. Mr. Handyandy

"all thermostats(plural) have been turned to max"

"the following have been replaced, cylinder thermostat(singular)"

?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Reno

Reno New Member

Cylinder thermostat = max
    Immersion heater element thermostat = max

both the cylinder thermostat and immersion heater have been replaced

14. Mr. Handyandy

Not strictly correct, but I know what you mean!

And the one cylinder thermostat controls the gas too ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Reno

Reno New Member

Yes - through a control box.

16. Reno

Reno New Member

or 10 way juncyion box it should be

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Cylinder stat has nothing to do with your immersion.  The immersion will have it's own integral thermostat.  Try changing it (again).

The switch neon blowing will be a red herring - change the switch.

I assume this is just a standard cylinder?  Not a thermal store or anything?

18. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

try pressing the reset button on the Immersion Heater.
    TBH, trial & error is not the best approach to solving problems
    By the time you change all the components you think might be faulty, you would have spent (unecessarily) sheet loads of money, in time I mean and be well frustrated and confused too, just like muggins here
    Get a propa Spark to do the job or failing that, use your Multimeter.  It is an invaluable tool (that is if you know haw to use it). 

19. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

The element is knacked, exposed to water in tank, in this condition they can still generate a little heat, the condition worsened causing the fuse to blow ,no fuse no gass filled neon illumination.

has the immersion fuse blown?