In line splice or MF terminals

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pollowick, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Following the torrential rain on Thursday, I had a minor water ingress and lost three circuits and have had the floor up to find out why.

They were all lying on the concrete sub-floor and rather wet! All now solved except one.

There is a 4mm ring which feed the "below worktop" appliances in the kitchen - washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher and a couple of smaller items. There are times when all three are started in quick succession. The MCB is 40A and there is a joint in one leg of the ring.

I should really take the MCB down to 32A and will replace the joint which is currently "choc block" with maintenance free - most of the WAGO and Ideal connectors are rated at 32A which will be fine. And that got me thinking ...

Does anyone know of any MF connectors similar to Wago or Ideal that are rated at 40A?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Solder and heat shrink, and then resin pot?

3. Pollowick

It is one thought, but one cable is tight under a joist with no more slack which would make soldering difficult!

In my case it would be belt and braces using a 40A, I could get away with a 32A as it is a ring final so there will be current sharing across the two sides ...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

5. Pollowick

6. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

If your changing the MCB to 32 Amp I really can't see the point of using connectors rated at a higher current than 32 Amp.