In need of advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by multimess, Jun 2, 2017.

1. multimess

multimess New Member

Hi. I was told about this forum and i really hope that someone could advise me. I painted a room over a year ago which had mold problems due to poor ventilation ( its a bedroom and there was cupboards against an outside wall). I cleaned the mold with the appropriate cleaner filled in cracks ets - 2 mist coats of paint then 2 coats of emulsion - looked lovely. Just after a few months stains started appearing thru emulsion and now it looks horrendous , paint is cracking and peeling in places too - really need some help on what to do about it. Ive heard Zinsser has got paint for problems walls?
    If anyone does answer and i dont reply immediately i apologise in advance as i work shifts etc.
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A outside wall, is it north facing, what's other side like, is it rendered, plain brickwork, what's the condition like, any guttering causeing problems.

Zinssers Coverstain Primer would probably solve the problem, if a wall is cold, then any warm air will condensate on wall causing moisture & mould to form.
    I would insulate wall first with a thermal liner like Erfurt MAV Neopor Graphite Plus Insulating Lining Paper, it's cheaper than Wallrock or similar.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/v...NEOPOR_INSULATING_LINING_PAPER_GRAPHITE_PLUS/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Peeling paint might suggest damp coming through from the wall - more of a problem than condensation.

Might.

Any chance of some photos? One of the whole wall section, and another a close-up?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I misread his post.:oops::confused:

Disregard that about thermal paper, but condition of outside wall still applies.

And photo's of outside wall as well.

5. multimess

multimess New Member

Thank you for your replies - good to know there might be someone who can help :)
    The wall is a north facing in good condition. My husband has been up in the attic and there are no damp patches etc. We have an old house made from stone - the walls must be about 2ft thick!!! The wall is an outside cold wall - but unfortunately there is little i can do about that. I have tried to take pics (not to good so ive failed as a photographer as well as a decorator) and for some reason i cannot down load them it is telling me file is too big for server??????? Any ideas what i can do to get pics up??
    Thanks Kath

6. multimess

multimess New Member

7. multimess

multimess New Member

8. multimess

multimess New Member

9. multimess

multimess New Member

10. multimess

multimess New Member

I have tried to down load pics now - but i cant see them - I dont know if you can see them :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

2Mb or less.

12. multimess

multimess New Member

i take it you cant see the pics Kiab????

13. multimess

multimess New Member

Hope you can see these

Attached Files:

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can see them now:), looks like damp patches,it is not rising damp on the first floor, so what on other side of wall, it's condition,state of roof gable end, water can take some strange routes going from A to B, so you might not see signs of damp on wall in attic.

I noticed it's in a corner of a room, is there any guttering on outside wall,could this be leaking, overflowing?

Got some photo's of the outside wall of that room.

15. multimess

multimess New Member

Hi Kiab. Yes the worst area is the corner - this was where the worst mould was originally!! We were originally part of a terrace but a few years ago someone bought the house next door demolished it then built a new one - extremely close to our house so therefor i cannot get any photos of the outside wall. There is guttering and a downpipe - on front wall but its much further over than the corner altho we did have a problem with that several years ago - which was sorted out. I am at a losss what to do next:confused::confused:. Even if the outside wall is damaged there is no way we could get in to do anything to it. They should never have had planning permission to build so close to us - bloody council - they are useless.

16. multimess

multimess New Member

Kiab tell you a bit more of the story see if it could help at all. when i redecorated the bedroom there was originally paper on the wall and i had used thermalite i think its called (like polestyrine) cant even spell it on the wall then the wall paper. When i took the wall paper off and saw the state of the wall i asked my brother who is a builder to take a look. He actually went up a ladder to look at the corner which as you say is the worst and he said he could see no damage or cracks in the wall.
    There is a chimney on the problem wall which is not in use. Could this be the problem??
    Hoping you can shed some light

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A unused chimney can caused no end of problems with damp, they need ventilation to keep them dry, otherwise the damp will draw out the salts,etc in the soot, stonework & cause staining & damp patches to appear.
    As the chimney been taken down below roof line, or just capped off,if your has a chimey pot sometimes you can get cracks around the flaunching allowing water to get down into chimney, the flashing is another area where water can find it's way in.

[​IMG]

Flaunching in poor condition.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. multimess

multimess New Member

Sorry been working. Right asked my hubby and he said we dont have a cap on the chimney. So i think we need to call someone out. I take it there is no point in tackling this wall until they come out is there?? When i do can you advise what is the best way to go ablout it. Thanks again Kiab