Indirect heated 900x450 cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dominic Baines, May 5, 2015.

1. Dominic Baines

Dominic Baines New Member

Got a British Gas fitted (c2006) indirect heated cylinder. 900x450.

Cold in bottom, hot out of the top and heater coils in/out on opposite side to the cold in. There is a handy drain valve near the base too (all squashed into the typical airing cupboard). Lots of nice thick insulation.

All fine so far..... however want to fit a Surrey flange for a shower but the top is NOT female 1" BSP thread but a 22mm compression fitting. So is not an easy cut top pipe, undo top, screw in surry flange, put the pipe back in to and 22mm to the shower pump and carry on....

Anyone know of a 22mm surrey type flange that I could use (with a shower pump). Plumber says tank wrong and got to be changed as the flange on top wrong which seems a bit ott. Had the immersion heater out and general look inside with torch etc and it is not all scaled etc and the tank fine. Seems a shame to have to swap the tank.

The other options are to T off the top feed or fit a 22mm essex flange on the side.... or buy a new tank... eek! with the costs of the removal of the old and fitting of the new one (expect some pipe work would have to be redone.

Anyone?

Dom

2. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Sorry not seen one like it before, sounds like you'd need an Essex flange tho...
    Don't get me wrong it'd be nice to weigh in the cylinder for scrap but doesn't make sense if you can do the Essex flange lol

3. Dominic Baines

Photos...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

theres another two ways to solve this,
    first way is the simplest,if you tee into the horizontal pipe ******* off the top of the cylinder,
    form an inverted loop in 22mm copper tube so that it drops at least 250mm below the top of the cylinder,
    this provides you with a loop full of water to prevent your pump sucking on air,
    second if your willing to loose your immersion heater,
    there use to be a fitting that would replace your immersion heater and provide you with a draw off for a shower pump feed,
    if not they do make a bush kit to get you to a 1"female thread

5. Dominic Baines

Thanks for both suggestions. I'll pass them on as I'd love to not have to replace the tank.

6. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

7. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Why doesn't your plumber just fit an Essex flange?? It ain't hard..

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Unvented cyl, no shower pump! Rm cyl 360+vat includes exp vessel & controls.
    no pump noise, no pump maintenance, drinking water at every tap, pressure & flow rate at every tap, stainless cyl that will live forever, no tank in roof that can flood your house, clean water to brush your teeth with no bugs & dead mice in, more efficient insulation, 2 days work max

9. plumber-boy

That's wasn't the question he asked, read the thread instead of posting random ****.;)

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Easy tiger, I did read it, in my opinion he would be better off going unvented, just letting him know he has other better options,

11. plumber-boy

And not the budget, hence the flange.
    Hours work doing small drain down and fitting Essex flange, trouble is only real plumbers fit them and bad plumbers talk new cylinders.

Plumberbish likes this.
  12. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Bad plumber for fitting a better system? It's only giving the client the option that's all pal?

Plumberbish likes this.
  13. plumber-boy

Its not your client, its a gentlemen asking a question about fitting a flange.
    That's my point, his system works and he has been told he needs a new cylinder to accommodate a new flange, he doesn't.

14. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Every new build by all major & smaller developers will only fit unvented cylinders & combi's for one bathroom homes, no one fits gravity systems anymore for a reason! People don't realise the benefits of unvented or even that they can have it, I've never ever been called a bad plumber & I take my high standard of service very seriously, so thanks for the wild accusation but providing the best solution is critical for clients

15. G&W Plumbing & Heating

He is paying out for a shower pump, pipe work modifications etc, no intention of upsetting anyone.

16. plumber-boy

Your missing the point G&W it's not your client or mine it's a gentlemen after a bit of free advice about a flange.Yes unvented are good and I fit many but they still have their pit falls.
    If you read the gentlemen's post he doesn't really want to replace the cylinder he has as it is not that old, so would he be likely to splash out on an unvented?? NO!!

17. G&W Plumbing & Heating

That's his choice.
    And I disagree, every person asking advice is a client, they depend on us for input & as a professional I am happy to help, in my experience clients like all the info available so they can make their own decisions based on budget & long term benefits, I always give every option as its my job to advise, that's all I was saying mate

18. plumber-boy

You always give every option, where's that then you haven't commented on his question all you've done is gone straight into installing an unvented system.

19. G&W Plumbing & Heating

His question was already answered by others, thanks for the talk anyway

20. plumber-boy

Idiot!!!:rolleyes: