Indirect heating no hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by spark27, Mar 29, 2015.

1. spark27

spark27 New Member

Please help just purchased new house -- no hot water unless you put emersion heater on
    Hot water cylinder -- coil flow pipe roasting return cold

Radiators are all roasting

Boiler make warmflow (oil fired) 2 pipes top of boiler 2 pipes bottom of boiler 1 with an inline pump --3 pipes hot 1 cold
    Doesn't seem to be any control just time clock feeding burner and pump

In attic there is 2 tanks --smaller 1 above a larger 1
    As I have no warm water at taps I tried turning all radiators off to try and direct flow threw coil -- what happened next was that there was a massive gurgling noise in the attic -- the smaller tank at the top was boiling I quickly turned off heating checked return coil of heating which was warm

Let system cool down fired up boiler still the same no hot water coil flow roasting return cold

What type of system di I have ---- and could any one know how to fix

Thanks

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd say from your description there is an airlock on the hot water curcuit or a blocked cold water feed to the system,
    1. check the small tank has water in it, if not blocked ballvalve
    if yes go to 2
    2.check any gate valve on the coldfeed from the little tank is open, if so go to 3
    3. with a magnet hold the magnet on the tee on the return circ of the cylinder where the cold feed from the small tank meets it,
    if there's an attraction to the magnet its a blocked feed,

3. spark27

spark27 New Member

Yes small tank has water in it - I don't have a magnet -- also just realised burner does not go off I adjusted stat right back to 1 (1-5) boiler kept running is this because the hot water return coil is cold ?radiator cct roasting
    Need hot water !!! Please help

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

It sounds as though you have the old gravity system and you almost certainly have a blockage given what you said about the F&E tank being so hot, sounds like it has pumped over. Your best bet is to get your OFTEC service engineer in to have sort you out. One little trick you could try if it just an air lock is to boil lthe air out, go for water only on your timeswitch, pull out the boiler thermostat phile and listen for the water in the pipes to boil. It makes a hell of a lot of noise but shifts the air. Once you have temperature on the return pipe put the thermostat phile back in to shut the boiler down.
    Dont forget you can use your immersion for hot water so its not a crisis.

5. spark27

spark27 New Member

Thanks for reply
    When I hit hw on time clock nothing happens
    When I hit ch on clock boiler and pump run
    Could I rewire this so hw runs boiler only and ch runs both (no motorised valves)
    There are 4 pipes to boiler 1 with pump
    Is this a normal set up 4 pipes 1 pump
    Thanks

6. spark27

spark27 New Member

7. spark27

spark27 New Member

I think this is my set up without room stat or hot water stat
    Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You have an old gravity system which in itself is quite an inefficient system but was adequate in its day. It sounds as if your timeswitch has failed as it should be able to select just hot water. Having said that have a look in your airing cupboard or around the boiler as it is just possible there is a manual changeover valve. But if not you could try a new timeswitch, the water will fire the boiler only and the heating will activate the pump so you can never have heating only with this type of system. This however will not cure the potential blockage/airlock, but you could try the boiling method I mentioned earlier.

Im assuming that you have just moved in and didnt get the heating and boiler looked at by an OFTEC engineer as part of the survey, therefore its possible this has been a long standing fault that the previous owner omitted to tell you but he/she were able to live with.

Given the age of the system my best advice would be to get an OFTEC fitter in, but be prepared to have the system upgraded to make any sort of difference to getting it going. Sorry but I dont see any real chance of a DIY fix for you as the system itself was probably installed in the 70's and sounds beyond help.

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

You don't need OFTEC,
    You need a heating engineer not just any old plumber either,
    You will have a Y plan system if you've got a whole house heating system on one zone,
    You will have an S plan if 2 or more heating zones,
    The reason you pumped over the system is you have no bypass & the valve to cylinder is closed,

Causes:-

- 3/2 port valve stuck
    -faulty motorised head on the 3/2 port valve
    - faulty cylinder stat
    - faulty programmer
    - faulty room thermostat

Kind regards

Tony

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Check external electrical controls sequence,

I'm betting on motorised valve

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

G&W, there's 4 pipes to the boiler, that's a basic gravity system, there's no motorized valves,no zones,no clever bugger gadgets it's as basic as it gets, on HW only the boiler fires,on HW and CH the boiler and the pump go together,
    to the tune of fools and horses,

no condensate no pee cee bee
    its simple as A B C
    no fan,it's just a balanced flue
    just ask if it's all new to you

bosh bosh bang bang core blimey
    reading books from the library

chippie244 and KIAB like this.
  12. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

They were good systems, bomb proof.:(

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

What stops cylinder overheating with no cyl stat when heating is on?

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

nothing, :)

15. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Sounds pretty ****

16. plumber-boy

They hardly ever went wrong, still a few out there in service.;)

17. G&W Plumbing & Heating

I have crossed a few and ripped them out due to mechanical disgust

18. plumber-boy

What you couldn't work out how it worked.:p

19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

:):D

20. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Just no need for it,