Information Please About Damp and Condensation.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by hoppa, Sep 30, 2014.

1. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Bought Tyneside flat in 2004.

First problem to be addressed turned out to be two sets of damp.

First one I found a guarantee which guaranteed Remtox materials.

That work has been carried out however quite surprised not injected in conventional way however the tanking method they have used turned out to be effective.

I did worry about it last year as during cold weather it revealed signs of damp etc,however a sample by Sovereign revealed not damp.

The second damp wall (bedroom through to living room and then kitchen) I had completed by a private Company called DCP based in Jesmond,Newcastle.

This is where I made a massive mistake, This company issued me with a 30 year guarantee and the company guaranteed the work and materials.

In the last year I have noticed this damp injection work failing.

I have since been informed that I have no come back as the company is now insolvent and that this is common practice by damp proofers.

There are no spores etc but discolouration of the walls,the angle bar is soaked up to a meter high (classic rising damp symptoms).

Also in bedroom condensation forming moist covering on clothes and shoes .

How bad does damp have to be before it affects health?

Is condensation a health risk ,been in here 10 years and have since been diagnosed with slight asthma, asked consultant about asthma with home conditions he informed me that its negligible.

Mind you smoked for 30 years gave up two years ago and have been a firefighter for last 28 years..(lots of smoke).

I don’t know weather to sell,can problems be remedied.

Im afraid I don’t think so, 18 inch Flemish bonded walls.

I keep it well aired and have been advised to have special air filter systems installed but cant help thinking just a sales pitch.Two issues

1): how bad does damp have to be,as I said some walls showing discolouration and feel damp,had meter on and it is damp.

2): Can condensation be controlled.

Trying to buy time but feel this damp will need to be sorted soon.

Bit long winded but any help most appreciated.

Thanks

2. Adam Slinger

Adam Slinger New Member

Hi hoppa,

This definitely sounds like a condensation problem. Condensation can be controlled, you just need to ensure that your property has adequate ventilation to control the humidity levels in your home. There are several things you can do to prevent condensation and damp, this article provides some useful tips on ways to prevent condensation problems which might be useful to you.

3. "There are no spores etc but discolouration of the walls,the angle bar is soaked up to a meter high (classic rising damp symptoms)."

It does sound like it's more than condensation... And that amount of damp - stained walls and damp clothes - in the current relatively mild & dry weather doesn't shout condensation either.

Hoppa, could you add some photos?

That last company with the 30-year g'tee - can you check to see if that is an insured warranty, one with an indemnity that should cover you even if they go to insolvent? (Worth a shot...)

Anyways, there's a limited amount we can recommend on here, I suspect; you really need independent professional advice.

But, all damp can be controlled. You just need confirmation of what type it is - rising or cond'n.

Ok, we've had a very mild dry summer - have your walls been damp throughout this time? Are the damp patches localised to specific areas? How many of these areas are on internal (dividing) walls, and how many on external?

Really, if the damp is on internal walls - as I think you suggest - it's just got to be rising. Surely?

You need pros. And they need to come with an insured guarantee. And a reputation. A good one...

I'd suggest sorting it before sale; whatever it'll cost to sort, it'll be a lot less than the drop in value if you don't.

I think.

4. hoppa

hoppa New Member

5. hoppa

hoppa New Member

View attachment 6871 View attachment 6871 View attachment 6872 View attachment 6873 View attachment 6873 View attachment 6874 Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked with local trading standards about value of guarantee and i have no come back at all,the company insured materials them selves so no insurance backed guarantee.

Environmental Health employee checked areas with damp meter and said rising damp.

Condensation in bedroom and kitchen.

All damp is on internal walls.

will upload pics.

Thanks for help.

having problems with pics..????

pk View attachment 6871

Attached Files:

6. This can be sorted - all damp can.

But, it's going to be messy again.

You obviously need a company that has a tried and trusted reputation, and gives a water-tight (sorry, couldn't resist...) insurance backed g'tee.

It'll cost. But, surely better to sort this before selling. 'cos you'll almost certainly lose a lot more by selling as is.

Then find the names of managers/share-holders/directors of that other company and (a) see what they are doing now, and (b) do something very, very unpleasant to them.

7. hoppa

hoppa New Member

can i readvertise this ad please?

8. Jasmine Burdett

Jasmine Burdett New Member

Over 2 millions of people suffer from asthma. There are many factors that causes asthma smoke, pollens, molds caused by moisture. To have a asthma friendly home , Asthma Foundation suggests to address the ventilation, heating or cooling, the impact of home,etc. Home ventilation systems are effective at removing many asthma triggers. The incoming air is filtered of toxins, like pollens, dust mites and dander.
    For more information you can see, www.ventis.com.au