Inset Gas Fire installation

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Julesatuk, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Julesatuk

Julesatuk New Member

Hello there,

I am trying and failing to find out the answer to one question.

I am having an inset gas fire installed, I have had to build a plinth of 50mm depth, of non combustable material, for the front of the gas fire to stand on.

My question is, there is a regulation height, but . . . is there a regulation distance the plinth needs to project from the wall? or is it sufficient to support the front of the gas fire, which would be about 100mm.

Can you help at all.

Many thanks

Jules

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

300mm in front of fire and 150mm either side

3. Julesatuk

Julesatuk New Member

Thank you, I think my confusion was with some insets they say they are wall mountable as long as there is a small plinth to support the ashpan grate at the front. So I wondered if it were the same for floor mounted. I think if the manufacturer specifies differen't in the installation instructions that is ok. The room is quite narrow, 300mm added to the fireplace sticking out, causes quite an intrusion.

4. corascate

corascate New Member

The M.I's always take priority. If the installations instructions tell you to do something that that is how you fit it. Inset is in or partially in the wall and the 300 measurement is taken from the wall not from the front of the fire.