Installing 3 hole basin (pics)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by uncle sam, Jun 26, 2017.

1. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

IMG_7990.PNG IMG_7992.PNG I have a set of basin taps to install that are 3 hole, the manual was very basic and didn't confirm which part takes the main water and which part connents the taps to the mixer.

The pics attached show 2 ways u can do it from other taps ive seen,

1. Mains go into side inlets
    2. Mains go into the bottom inlets

As my taps didnt state which way, would u assume i could do with it either way??

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A, that looks awful, B, if you can't work that out you should pack it in.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

the water supply pipes go to the taps ,then from tap to outlet ( spout ). for all manual mixers.

4. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

I think u have missunderstood what I was asking... I know the water supply goes in the taps 1st, but the taps have 2 connection options. A bottom and a side connection. I have seen manuals where they show the following 2 setups....

A. Supply connects into taps side connection and the tap bottom connection joins to the spout.

B. Supply connects to the taps bottom connection and then the taps side connection joins to the spout

The photos I have attached show versions A and B. My question was, does it matter which way you do it?

The pictures show both ways of doing it.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I'd normally expect version B to be honest but to be sure you'll have to work out how your taps work.

and FWIW - flexi's with such a tight bend are not a good idea. I've seen flexi's burst before now

6. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

Thanks for the input, the taps came with flexi's but I'm not sure in going to use them yet, depends on how tight the bends end up being.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

uncle Sam ,sorry I misunderstood your post. if you look into the tap tails ,there should be a non return valve and filter on the water inlet port.that would usually be on the bottom of the tap.maybe you can post pics of your taps.

8. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

IMG_7995.JPG
    Ok so I gave it a go, actually wasnt that bad getting it all connect up without any kinks, think its the only way it can be done, its not connected to mains yet so havnt been able to test it. Surely theres gota be better way to design 3 hole taps. These were made by crosswater which aint cheap either.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

is it the pic that's misleading or is the supply hose on the right actually a lot bigger diameter than t'other ? I assume if you re not connecting shower hose you will blank off the outlet. is there non return valves within the tap tails ? if not you should fit some to prevent back flow contamination .

10. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

Haha narr there both the same size flexis.

These are basin taps so no shower hose, the middle hole is where the rod comes through to controls the pop us waste.

With regards to the non return valves, these taps are WRAS approved so I shouldn't have to install them. I didnt have a proper look to be honest but dont remember seeing anything in the 2x tap sections so could be in the mixer/spout section.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

Going contact the manufacturer to make sure they are approved/
    Actually, to make sure I will contact the manufacturer to make sure they are approved and ask about the non returns, just in case. I dont fancy undoing it all seeing as I've managed to get a sweet spot (kink wise) and am back to me day job tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.