Installing a resin shower tray (BIG!)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ambitious DIYer, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Ambitious DIYer

Ambitious DIYer New Member

Might have bitten off more than I can chew here. I am installing a resin shower tray 1700 x 750, and as you can imagine, it is heavy! I will be fixing it on a bed of cement as recommended. The area it is going in has walls on 3 sides, but instead of the 4th side being fully open, access is restricted by about 1/3rd. Looks a bit like this (if this works:
    ¦---------------------¦
    ¦ ¦
    ¦ ¦
    ¦---------------------¦

-------¦
    ¦ (another wall)
    ¦
    What this (hopefully) shows is that the place where the tray is going, is enclosed on 3 sides, but there is another wall 120mm from the front edge of the tray, which limits access to get the tray in.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about fitting the tray? Thanks in advance.

2. Ambitious DIYer

OOps - picture doesn't show it as it is. One long side is open, but partially hindered by a wall 150mm from it, and 1/3rd along.
    Nick

3. Jack

Jack New Member

Are you able to get the base in its position, prop it up by a foot or so. Then spread your cement mix underneath, remove the props and level the base ?

Use 300mm lengths of 3x2 at the corners. Pull out the inner ones first!

You may be able to lower it onto battens before dropping onto the cement base. Slide out the battens to make a more controlled drop.

4. Ambitious DIYer

Thanks Jack - that does sound like the best idea. I guess that any cement that is missing from the corners (because of the props) will be replaced by seepage when the tray is lowered. It's certainly going to be 'fun'. Apreciate your response. Nick.

5. Noun

Noun New Member

I moistened the floor and underside of my tray, propped it up with a few 12mm thick strips of timber and sprayed in lots of foam and then withdrew the strips.

The weight of the tray pushed it down to the floor (which was perfectly sound and level) and the foam (presumably) expanded into the hollow underside sections.

Clean and easy.........I just hope I don't have to lift it!!!

6. Ambitious DIYer

Jack - Thanks. I fitted the shower tray yesterday the way you suggested. It was B^%%$Y heavy!! Took 2 of us straining but we did it. We used luggage straps to raise it. We had to put them over our shoulders and use all our strength, but did it in the end.
    Regards...Nick