Installing a second toilet - cutting floor slab for pipe??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by UKSPEED, Oct 7, 2016.

1. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Hi,

This is very much in the thinking stage and I'm not 100% what is and isn't possible.

The idea is to install a second toilet downstairs. It will not be near the existing soil stack (approx 4m away).
    The only way I can see to get a 110mm pipe to the drains at the back of the house, will be digging through concrete floor in the kitchen (the kitchen wall is a party wall, semi-detached property).

I'm not sure if this is structurally possible as it's effectively cutting the kitchen slab in half. Something maybe only a structural engineer could tell me?

I'm exploring this idea currently as I really want to avoid a saniflow system!

Any experience or advice would be much appreciated. (Apologies if this is in the wrong category).

Thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a plan of layout of ground floor & pipe run.

Cutting a trench down the length of room isn't unheard of, did one for a new water main from stop cock in road to kitchen at back of house, via the length of the hallway.:eek::)

Just need to watch out for other service that are buried, water,gas pipes, maybe electric supply.
    You can get a cordless stihl saw with water feed now, so little noise cutting & not much dust.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This sort of work is well within the remit of Building control - I would contact your local officer for the best way to proceed

4. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Not got a plan accessible to upload at the moment but can post one when I do.

Come to think if it is pretty certain the gas line must cross under the kitchen floor. That complicates things further..

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can use a CATscan (Cable Avoidance Tool with genny) to detect pipes,cables, doesn't work with plastic pipe.:rolleyes::oops:

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You are getting into the realms of fitting ......... a Saniflo type system. A lot of drawbacks but much easier than ripping up the floor

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Saniflo type system hate them:mad::mad:, seen them blocked, S*** coming up through bath outlet, overflowing toilet bowl, not a pretty sight,or smell, you then get things put down the toilet which block them.
    upload_2016-10-8_12-5-30.jpeg

Think I rather dig up the floor.:)

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am much the same about them - but sometimes it is the most practical option despite being the work of the devil.

Getting the pipe through the floor of the kitchen and then exiting the foundations is going to be a real pain. Especially as your either going to core drill really low down in a trench and/or knock through and have to put a lintel in !

You have also got to find a way of re-instating the DPM in the kitchen floor after breaking through it.

And of course it is the kitchen which is a real pain as it may be out of action for a week or more

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very valid points, but I willingly put up with the kitchen being disrupted, if it meant not having a Saniflow.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How about the wife .............. ;)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pack her off to her mother for a week....:eek:

yetanothermike likes this.
  12. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

It is seeming like a pretty tricky jobo_O. May have to reconsider... but saniflow... :(

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Saniflo is a bit like meeting the wife's family - you know its going to be an awful prospect and going to aggro in the future but at some point you are going to have to go through with it :D:oops:

UKSPEED and KIAB like this.
  14. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Still racking my brains for ways around it though :D

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a quote for the work.:)

Put a plan up, we might see another way of doing pipe work.:)

16. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Rubbish picture but hopefully you get the idea.

Kitchen is approx 4m long.

Kitchen units run all the way along the back wall with appliances underneath (dishwasher etc), so leaves no room to run a full pipe behind them.
    Existing stack comes down in the other corner of the kitchen.

Attached Files:

17. UKSPEED

UKSPEED Member

Note also - plan to redo the kitchen anyway, so ripping cabinets out isn't an issue.