Installing a shower extractor fan with 3 pole isolator switch and pull cord??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wallace2017, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Sorry, I just wondered as I have 2 pull cord switches in my bathroom, one operates 5 downlights within the bathroom (by sink and bath), the other pull switch operates the shower and a downlight within the enclosed shower cubicle (the extractor fan would be in line from that downlight).

There is a window in the bathroom which does open but doesn't help with the steam in the shower cubicle as it is fully enclosed and therefore requires the extractor fan.

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It depends on how the showerlight is wired.
    Essentially, if there is a 10mm cable going to that switch for the shower you will need a SEPARATE FCU to provide a low current (3A) protection for the fan.

So that would mean abandoning all of the above discussion, stopping your order with QVS and making a completely different solution.,

3. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

The showerlight is wired with 1.5mm 2 core and earth into the source of the pull cord along with the shower source 10mm, which goes into a transformer for that showerlight. The 10mm feed cable runs from fuse box to feed of pull cord.

4. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

I have now fitted the QVS isolator and FCU (together unit) taking the feed 3 c + e from switch pull cord load side and then another 3 c + e to the extractor from the isolator.

How is it best to wire the FCU side?

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Follow the wiring diagram that came with the fan? The one that says you need an FCU!

6. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

How do I wire the QVS FCU in as it only has connections for L in and L out?

Many thanks

7. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

The instructions show the FCU with L & N.

8. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Could I just bridge a live wire across from the 3 pole isolator for both in and out (separately of course) to the FCU side of the QVS unit?

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The fuse goes in the line feed.
    The neutral goes straight to the switch
    Of course, how else could you do it?

Think about it.

An FCU is a fuse with a two-pole switch foir live and neutral.
    The QVS thing has a fuse and three pole switch for live, neutral and switched live.

It cant be that hard, can it?? draw it on a piece of paper.

10. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

I have never seen these combined 3 pole isolator and FCU before so the wiring was a mystery to me. I wasn't sure if the bridging wire for the live circuit for the FCU would work.

11. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

I have completed the wiring connecting the fuse side to the 3 pole isolator to each of the live connections, however, the fan just runs constantly when the light switch is pulled, doesn't switch off when pull cord is off no matter how long after.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Where are you getting the live, neutral and switched live from?
    Do you have a voltage tester, like a multimeter?

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You may have live and switch switch live reversed reversed.

14. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

I followed your previous advice - Ok so you need to run 3c & E cable from the switch to the 3 pole isolator.
    L & N from the feed side into the switch
    Switched live from the live terminal on the load side of the switch.

Yes, I have a multimeter.

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

OK. Using your multimeter test at the fan first.
    Do you have 230v between L & N. Do you have 230V between N and switch live when the light switch is ON. Does this voltage disappear when the switch is off?

If so, then you have a faulty fan (unlikely). If you get different readings to the above, then you have wired it wrong, somewhere.

16. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

I have found the problem to be the bridging wires for the fuse to the 3 pole isolator as the moment those are disconnected then the fan runs on for 10 mins (as the timer wheel is set to) and then switches off.

Please run by me which connections those fuse wires go to?

17. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Am I right in thinking the FCU side of the QVS combined unit needs bridging wires from the live and neutral of the in side (from the pull switch)?

Attached Files:

18. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

CORRECTION - I meant permanent live and switch live from the pull cord so on the in circuit to the 3 pole isolator switch, bridged across to the FCU???

19. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Ok, so in the end wiring the 3amp fuse side of the 3 pole fused isolator switch was straight forward.

The live goes from the pull cord switch to the L IN of the fuse. Then with a spare piece of live (brown) wire connect L OUT of the fuse to L2 of the IN for the isolator switch.

L1 is switch live, N neutral.

20. Kerbab

Kerbab New Member

Does that mean the permanent live is 3amp but what about the switch live