Installing Basin Waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by useless100, Feb 26, 2006.

1. useless100

useless100 New Member

No matter how hard I try I never seem able to plumb in a waste without it leaking. Have you guys got any tips that would help?

2. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Try using Silicon as you assemble and fit the waste to bath / basin ect.

3. oooops

oooops Active Member

where abouts is it leaking from?

4. useless100

useless100 New Member

Where the metal flange meets the basin!

5. Bitty

Bitty New Member

Leave out the thin foam washer that's meant to go under the flange inside the basin - run a bead of white or clear silicone along the underside of the flange instead - make sure there's enough so that it gets squeezed out all the way around - no air pockets.

Underneath, run a bead of silicone on both sides of the thicker rubber washer. Once tightened up, smooth the silicone around the nut and washer. Inside the basin, remove as much as possible, then use a lint-free rag wrapped around a finger to wipe the rest away leaving only a near-invisible ring around the flange.

6. useless100

useless100 New Member

Where the metal flange meets the basin!

7. useless100

useless100 New Member

Thanks for that.... and sorry for repeating myself.

8. LeakyJim

LeakyJim New Member

Plumbase stock something called a basin mate, basically a big rubber washer ,I use them all the time works for me.

9. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

No matter how hard I try I never seem able to plumb
    in a waste without it leaking. Have you guys got any
    tips that would help?
    DO NOT USE SILICONE, as suggested by others.

May I respectfully suggest that as basin manufacturers let more and more cr4p out of their factory gates this problem gets more common.

Roll a 'boss-white and hemp' gromit (remember those lads?) out of the two components, it will fill most imperfections.

Otherwise throw away the foam and rubber washers, use plumbersmait under the flange and buy a proper kit, comprising a cone shaped rubber washer for underneath that really pushes its way into the all-too-irregular shaped excuse for a flat base of the waste hole, and a plastic 'cup-shaped' washer that goes between the cone and backnut (metal if you're lucky!).

They cost me about £1 from my local independant merchant, and save me a lot of time/sweat as I seem to fit only the cheap rubbish the sheds still sell (I really must up my typical customer profile!).

I have tried the silicone route and end up with most of it over me, the rubber washers lose all snse of shape and pop-out of the join at will.

One more thing, all that boss-white on my overalls makes'em luvverly and waterproof. ;)

10. famous

famous New Member

I always do the same as Bitty, especially with pop up wastes and never have much trouble.

11. sputnick

sputnick New Member

Looking at posts re leaking from basin waste, most leaks seem to eminate from water finding it`s way around the threads of the waste outlet.Even if the top and bottom of the waste is sealed unless there is some sealant around the threaded section it will still seem past if the hollow section of the basin has water in either from a large amount of drained water still in basin hollow or from the overflow into the hollow.
    Make sure that there is a bead of sealant around the thread above the nut.Silicone is ok but the threads must be absolutely clean and dry.Plumbers mait works best IMO but can go hard after some years.

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Silicon is fine when applied properly ;)