Installing Hive 2 - need advice on removing wired thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Seb Wilkes, May 22, 2016.

1. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the Hive 2 system for a conventional boiler with a separate hot water circuit.

I have disconnected my old controller and labelled all the wires.
    L= 3 wires (2x black + 1x blue)
    N= 2 wires (1x red + 1 X black)
    1= Blue
    2= Empty
    3= Yellow
    4= Red

I have rewired the Hive controller copying the above so they are the same. I now don't know what to do with the wired thermostat in the hall which is a Honeywell THR840D. The thermostat has a red, blue and yellow wire. Assuming one is a neutral, live and a call for heat wire.

What do I need to do with the 3 thermostat wires given the Hive thermostat is wireless?

On a continuity test the thermostat red and blue wired are connected to number 4 and one of the neutral wires back at the controller.

Thanks for your help..

Attached Files:

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

what plan do you have? i.e s plan, y-plan. from the looks of the programmer wiring you have a y-plan unless the hot water valve is motor open-motor closed and not a spring return valve.

if my assumptions correct then number 4 red in programmer goes to old thermostat terminal A, terminal B yellow goes to the white of the mid position valve and blue terminal c is neutral. you could join the red and yellow together in the thermostat.....imo that's a bit rough and would be better to disconnect the room thermostat cable from the wiring centre and connect the white of the valve to the CH on terminal on the hive.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

Hi leesparkykent

Thanks for the reply - if I were to connect terminal A and Terminal B - what would I need to do with terminal C?

If I were to disconnect the thermostat completely how would I identify the wire from the CH valve, so I could directly wire this in?

Thanks for your help!

4. leesparkykent

do you have two valves i.e one for hot water and the other for heating or do you have one valve which is usually referred to as a mid position valve or 3port valve?

5. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

Hi - Its a mid position valve - see attached photo. Thanks again...

Attached Files:

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The colors aren't corresponding to the numbers as shown in the pic.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Never installed one, but looks like the default setting is for fully pumped system, you may have to reset it to gravity fed mode.

8. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

Hi Jitender - double checking the photo you are right - typo between N and L - see correct order below.

I have disconnected my old controller and labelled all the wires.
    N= 3 wires (2x black + 1x blue)
    L= 2 wires (1x red + 1 X BROWN)
    1= Blue
    2= Empty
    3= Yellow
    4= Red

Thanks...

9. leesparkykent

Terminal B in old thermostat (yellow) will be connected to the white of the mid position valve, Terminal A (red) will be connected to CH ON (terminal 4) in old programmer and terminal C (blue) in old thermostat will be commoned with the rest of the neutrals. disconnect all 3 Red, yellow and blue plus the CPC (earth) in the wiring centre and connect the white from the valve to the CH ON terminal in new programmer.

10. leesparkykent

I've wrote next to each one what they are.

11. leesparkykent

Easiest way to install this would be to replace the existing programmer with the dual channel receiver, and the only bit of wiring you have to change is by disconnecting the thermostat cable as described above and connect the white of the mid position valve to the CH on terminal on the dual channel receiver.

12. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

Hi - thanks for the help on this - I understand the explanation above and feel like I could install it except for one key bit of info: "connect the white of the mid position valve to the CH on terminal".

I get what you mean by the "CH on" terminal and disconnected the old thermostat but not sure what you mean by the White. There isn't a white wire available and don't know how to identify the wires running from the mid position valve. Sorry if I'm being slow...

13. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

For a 3 port valve to work the hive has to have a hot water "off" terminal, does it have that.

You also need to find the wiring centre and connect out the thermostat wiring there, I doubt it goes back to the programmer. Or alternatively connect the red and yellow wires together at the old stat position.

I cant quite fathom why the blue is in terminal C in the old stat, looking at the diagram inside the cover it looks like a "satisfied" live terminal but this would obviously short out when it got up to temperature so it must just be a parking terminal for the not needed neutral.

14. leesparkykent

https://www.hivehome.com/hive-self-install

the dual channel receiver has HW OFF.

15. leesparkykent

on that particular valve it will be brown or white with a brown stripe if you don't have a plain white core.

16. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

So it has, it wouldn't surprise me in the least though if it was an oversight by the manufacturers.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just to clarify does this mean that the hive is up an running, and you are only seeking advice on what to do with the now redundant thermostat wire.

If so the the instructions mention that it can be disconnected at the hive, and or carefully terminated into a terminal block enclosed in suitable enclosure.

18. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Fitted the Hive today and it works great thanks to the advice.

Cheers,
    Seb

leesparkykent likes this.
  19. leesparkykent

thanks for coming back and letting us know :) did you end up disconnecting the old thermostat or joining it through?

20. Seb Wilkes

Seb Wilkes New Member

I ended up joining it through the thermostat. Idea being if I sold the house I have the option of taking Hive with me and its a relative easy process to reverse - just in case...

Thanks again for the help.

leesparkykent likes this.