Installing Inset Electric Fireplace and Blocking Chimney

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Matt_H, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. I know what I want the end solution to look like but not how I get there.

Please see the attached photos shown below.

The 1st one shows my fireplace as it is now. It used to have a gas fire but this was removed before I bought the house.

The 2nd picture shows what I want to do with the fireplace. I want a long landscape inset electric fire installed.

I have a few questions:

(1) If I block up the chimney with plaster board will I end up with damp?

(2) How do you actually install inset fires?....will I need some of the chimney breast brickwork knocking out (as the fire is going to be wider that the current hole in the chimney breast) or are they thin enough to fit within the plasterboard?

(3) If I need brickwork knocking out will there need to be a lintel fitted so the weight isn't sitting on the fire?

(4) Anything else I need to consider when blocking up the chimney breast and installing the inset electric fireplace?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Matt

IMG_0829.JPG

Gazco-Studio-Electric-Inset-150-600x630.gif

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Yes,you'll need a lintel,you can either use a concrete one or steel,an easy way is a piece of 4inch by 3 inch angle,they used to use them years ago,you can get that in by removing a bed of mortar,then remove the bricks below with little chance of anything falling.
    A chimney should never be completely sealed unless it's capped at the top too,just put a small thin vent plate at the bottom.

Matt_H likes this.
  3. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, I used a 'chimney balloon' to block the chimney just above the fireplace, a small hand pump was used to inflate it. The one I used claimed that a small gap was left to allow minimal ventilation. Very easy to install and can easily be removed if necessary. Never had a problem with it. Been up there several years now. Regards

Matt_H likes this.
  4. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Thanks guys.

Tricky Dicky do you still need a vent at the bottom with a chimney balloon?

I've looked up the chimney and it is open at the moment...it doesn't have a damper...as per the picture below:

IMG_0830new.jpg

5. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Actually if the fireplace is going to be blocked up with plasterboard is there any need for a chimney balloon?

Do I need a rain guard on the chimney pot?

Thanks
    Matt