Installing stone resin shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dronfield tony, May 24, 2007.

1. dronfield tony

dronfield tony New Member

Weighing up whether to install a stone resin shower tray. (I need to raise the tray so I guess will put it on plinth made from 3-4 bits of 4x2 decked with 18mm WBP ply.) But one thing that concerns me is bedding the tray on weak mortar. I've read the horror stories here about trays cracking...

Is the purpose of the mortar bedding just to stop the tray resting on a couple of high spots and thus cracking? Or is it to support the whole surface of the tray? Can't help thinking that squirting polyurethane foam up from underneath through strategically sited holes in the ply deck would be a better solution? Mortar sounds out of the ark!

Also, any suggestions on finishing off the sides of the plinth? I was thinking maybe tiling some lose pieces of WBP ply and fixing in place by siliconeing along the top and two sides. Solid enough to stay put but easy enough to remove if I need to get at the trap?

2. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Tony

Idea 1
    Make a plinth using 18mm ply on kitchen cabinet legs, easier to level up. Place the shower tray on a spread bed of tile adhesive.

Fix a small batten on the floor and attach tiles to this and the shower tray with silicone for easy removal.

Idea 2
    Buy a Mira flight tray with a riser kit.

3. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

What an excellent tip paaulyb, the times I struggled buiding a timber base and getting level,nice one, got any more like that.

4. ban chud

ban chud New Member

Is it a legal requirment(building REGs) that the trap must be accessable.

5. jdlplumb

jdlplumb New Member

All the ideas and solutions work well but the over riding point to note is look at the manufacturers installation instructions. If the tray is not fitted to their way then you will void your warranty if cracking occurs. If there are no instructions with the tray then phone the tech departments. Do like the mira riser system though.

6. tgs

tgs New Member

Coram do trays with legs. They come complete with a nice McAlpine trap and clip in covers for the base. They also have upstands to make them waterproof.

7. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Agree tgs, I use Coram trays all the time, they are good quality and never had a problem with one yet. Their enclosures are sound too.