insulated plasterboard fixing

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by firsttimebuyer, Sep 7, 2016.

1. firsttimebuyer

firsttimebuyer New Member

Hi all. In the next couple of weeks I need to fix some 50mm+12.5mm insulated plasterboard to 3 external brick/concrete block walls. Can someone tell me what the normal practice is for doing this ? Would it be dot and dab plus mechanical fixings or are mechanical fixings ok on their own. Also what are the preferred/ commonly used types?

Many thanks.

2. I understand dot and dab (or other adhesive) is the main fixing system, with - as you say - a few mechanical fixings added to prevent them falling off in the event of a fire!

Mechanical fixings - plugs and screws are fine. Or anything similar.

(Worth also checking websites for these products - I'm sure they'll give exact specs for fixing.)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Manufacturers usually use a frame type fixing. The other prob I've encountered with these boards are that they're often warped so don't always sit nicely flat against the wall, causing an undulating surface if not careful.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Drill through the insulated plasterboard the required depth, insert the fixing then hammer fix it to secure the board.

Sometimes referred to as mushroom head fixings.

All the solid walls that I fitted insulated plasterboard to in my recent renovation where hung using these ,but a different brand from my local merchants

7. firsttimebuyer

firsttimebuyer New Member

Thanks all. That's just what I wanted to know.:)