Insulating a floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Linestony, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Linestony

Linestony New Member

Hi guys
    I have a quick question that I need answering and am hoping someone on here can help!
    I have just bought a 12 x 10 summer house to be used as an office in me garden, I have insulated the walls and ceiling with 50mm celotex which is all fine, but my question is, can I lay celotex on the floor and then lay laminate flooring directly on top of it?
    I have found a 12mm celotex board (tb4012) but I am unsure as to weather it will compress to much or not, and ruin the floor? I haven't got enough height to lay celotex then 18mm chipboard and then the flooring so really the only option is to lay the laminate directly on top, or to not have any insulation on the floor at all which does worry me a bit when the winter arrives?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks guys

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

floating the finished floor directly on top won't be a problem, but you'll have to use an insulation material that is designed for direct flooring use (such as XPS) - if your use is only going to be very occasional light use you might get away with using the material you mentioned, but as you've probably spent a good few pounds already why not finish the job properly

3. Biochef

Biochef Member

Can't you also insulate from outside putting strips cut to size between joists

4. Linestony

Linestony New Member

Thanks for the replies guys!
    I do have a 5mm xps underlay for the laminate which I suppose would offer some sort of insulation, but do you think it would be sufficient? Also if I were to use the 12mm celotex would I need to use the xps underlay as well?
    So really it seems I have 3 options:

1. 5mm xps and laminate.

2. 12mm celotex and laminate directly on top.

Or

3. 12mm celotex, then 5mm xps, then laminate on top.

I'm not sure about insulating from underneath, would it not get soaked through the winter and cause damp?

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

is this a summer house or a wendy house ?

ideally you'd want at least 50mm of insulation on the floor - why are you so short of headroom ?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Maybe it's because he don't wanna use a stepladder to get through the door and bash his head on the frame!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Linestony

Linestony New Member

Ha! It's definitely a summer house! But it is gonna have regular everyday use as a business so hence why I wanna make sure I get the insulation right in the first place!
    It's not that I'm short of head room as such, it's just that there is a 3 x 2 cls running across the doorway so I want to keep the flooring below the height of that!

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

well when you are sat there suffering with cold feet in the Winter you might wish you'd added just a little more insulation to the floor ;)