Interesting arrangement.....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 14th edition, Dec 10, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Found this yesterday..... It was the right way up but for some reason the software keeps flipping it on its side. The black polythene was covering two sockets and a junction box, all dry! Top one is the boiler condensate. IMG_1346.JPG

KIAB likes this.
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I was quite proud of that job :D

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You forget the pipe clip on the grey pipe.:eek:

nigel willson and CGN like this.
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I never knew waste water could flow uphill! Photos are almost always flipped here for some reason:confused:

Seen worse!:eek:

IMG_2043.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Best to open the said pic in a picture editor even if they look the right way round and save it again. I find pics from mobile look ok until posted on a thread. They nearly always rotate.

I stopped that by doing the above

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Funny enough I'm looking at it on my computer now and it's the right way up, yet on my phone earlier it was sideways. Spookey!:confused:

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Crazy!

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Strange because the OP's picture is still sideways on , on my computer, yet your pic is the right way up.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's most unusual, I mostly use my phone to get on here (at lunch, in between jobs and before i go home etc.) and the picutes are almost always the right way up, whereas if I'm on my computer they are flipped.:confused:

I uploaded the picture from my phone if that makes any difference. I'd be interested to see if 14th uploaded the picture from his computer or phone?
    I think its an issue that varies between using the two.

10. 14th edition

I just had a thought, although I have tidied this up there is a condensate draining into the washing machine and dishwasher waste..... not good. Might need a gas engineer to look at that!

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Should not be like that

12. The condensate can gather there forming a plug of mush and blocking the pipe.
    Pipe then fills up back to the boiler.

13. 14th edition

How should this be done properly? Can I tee it in on the far side of the trap?

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It should really be taken outside to a drain.
    Assuming that the pipework runs outside to a drain, how far is the pipe run to the drain from the position of that trap?

Teeing it into the far other side of the trap would be an even worse idea, as the appliance discharge is at a high flow, meaning it is more likely for waste to end up meeting the boiler.
    You would be best taking it outside (Even if you didn't, as in you were just there and it changed:oops:)
    Although condensate pipe is regarded by some manufacturers as part of the flue, meaning you would have to be gas safe to touch it, I've been told by a heating engineer there is no direct regulation for touching them, he said it came under 'competent' rather than trained.

It is acceptable under regulations to take it to a soakaway or rainwater pipe. Regs also state that the pipe should be a minimum of 600mm away from foundations if taken to a soakaway.

I have only been told this, not read it for myself so feel free to correct me if i am wrong. :)

15. 14th edition

Hi Joe95,
    I mention teeing in because thats what it shows on a boiler manufacturers site as one option for condensate waste! There is another thread which I hadn't spotted earlier with the same issue and this suggests an open discharge into a 40 mm waste pipe....

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If you were to do so, i would ensure that there is adequate airflow around the appliance waste dischage pipes is provided, I.E they are not full of *****.
    This would prevent the waste water flowing away from outlet side of the trap siphoning the condense pipe. Obviously this method is much easier, and works, but is not ideal.

If you were to tee into the other side of the trap, i would suggest fitting a trap here, as it will prevent waste getting to the condense pipe, and stop foul smells entering the property.
    Something like this just above the tee:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/osma-waste-valve-white-x/3962k
    and then running the condense pipe into this.

The above method would be my preferred if i were to have to run condense into an existing drain pipe.

17. I have come accross a couple of times with the condense pushed onto the spigot of a washing machine trap.
    This had then become all gunged up and blocked,
    I would follow manufacturers instruction for boiler if you cannot get the pipe to the waste outside.