Interesting Question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by The Shadow, Apr 28, 2015.

1. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Can a indentured time served plumbing and heating engineer with over 40 years experience in the trade installing gas fires, cookers and central heating boilers ( corgi days ) who is now retired and is not gas safe registered but is classified as COMPETANT change a combi boiler in his own house and fill in the benchmark.

I am under the opinion that I could undertake this work in my own house as its "not for gain"

I would be interested in receiving any comments

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You can do it (I certainly will if I need to) but you will need to get a mate still in the trade and gas safe registered to commission it and complete the notification otherwise no warranty. If you still have an analyser then yes you can do the benchmark, but without an analyser you cant commission the boiler in the full knowledge that it is functioning as it should.

To me this is where the rules get a bit pedantic, your clearly going to be competent after a lifetime working in the trade and no doubt can follow a copy of manufacturers instructions, but as your no longer registered both the manufacturer and the building control won't recognise your past experience with out a bit of paper from a college and a money making organisation to say your safe.

teabreak, KIAB and FatHands like this.
  3. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Many thanks for your reply, you echo my thoughts on this subject, I have just been quoted £700 labour only plus the boiler for something i can do myself

teabreak likes this.
  4. I think Dave has said it as it is, and you, not unsurprisingly, agree. You can fill out the benchmark (as you should) but the manufacturers almost certainly won't accept it should the need arise - and if they check your GasSafe status when you try and register it with them.

So, what to do?

What I would do if I were you is to go ahead and install it, carry out every process that a GasSafe would do (analyser etc) and record all this in the docs.

Sit back, enjoy, carry out a 'service' every subsequent year (record this too...) and if the boiler goes faulty within, say, 5 years, then you get the manufacturer to fix it FOC. If they try and refuse - as they likely will - you get them to do it anyway, pay them, sign the invoice "paid under protest" (or whatever the lingo is) and then sue them using the Small Claims Court or MoneyClaimOnline.gov.

(Count Court may well be better in this case as you can represent yourself and face off the person sent by the manufacturer - you will be able to counter their every argument and convince the 'judge' that you know exactly what you are talking about, and the fault can only be down to a faulty product.

Provided you can show that the boiler has been installed EXACTLY to the manufacturer's recommendations, you will win.

You will win because a properly installed boiler should last at least 5 years, or else it clearly wasn't of good enough quality in the first place. And I understand that the legal onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the item did not have a manufacturing fault, and not that you need to prove that it did :).

And it'll be very satisfying...

Proviso: if the boiler does go faulty, then with your experience you will almost certainly have a good idea of what the fault is. If it is clearly a manufacturing fault (leaking exchanger, failed pump, blown PCB, etc) then you will win the case, with almost no doubt whatsoever.

However, if the fault can be attributed in any way to an inadequate install - say caused by remaining sludge - then you won't.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    KIAB, FatHands and The Shadow like this.
  5. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

apparently the hardest word to to define in a court of law is competent,
    this maybe your get out

6. The Shadow: "M'lud - I am COMPETENT!"

Boiler's Rep: "Oh gawd - nolle prosequi, M'lud..."

(Yes, I had to look that up... :rolleyes:)

7. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

8. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Must admit i would like to install the wet systems on the boiler and get a gas safe engineer to do the flue and 22mm gas suply to the boiler and fill in the Benchmark then every ones happy.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And make sure don't buy a Worcester Bosch combi...:rolleyes:

10. If you are buying the boiler yourself and dry-mounting in place, temporarily connecting up all the wet pipes and then hoping a GasSafe comes out and finishes it off, then I reckon you need to find that willing GasSafe first...

They do exist, but are few and far between. After all, they make some money on the boiler sale which they are now losing out on, so they'll be starting the job feeling a bit aggrieved - and expected to take the responsibility of the whole install.

Is it an old wet system or a new one? The former will also need a proper clean to conform with the manufacturer's warranty requirements.

11. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Its a 7 year old Ravenheat CSI 85, having said that it has been quite reliable, but it has a tear drop leak on the heat exchanger

12. So it's already a condensing boiler (you have a condensate pipe already in place) and it's an old existing system, so may need a further clean even tho' in theory this was done 7 years ago.

£700 for what should be a very straight-forward boiler swap is taking the pee a wee bit, but there has to be a minimum amount a GasSafe would need to charge before they could be bovvered doing it, so I doubt you'll get it much cheaper. Did the quote include a system cleaning of any type? Do you have a filter fitted, and - if not - is it included? If yes and no/yes, then the quote is actually fair enough.

Shadow, this has to be your call. You ain't going to save that much if you have to call out a GasSafe to commission your install, so your choices are to either do it ALL yourself with all the warranty risk and hassle that this could involve, or else bite t'bullet and get the GasSafe to do it all. And relax..

13. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Yes the existing boiler is a combi and all plumbed in with the condensate pipe, no the £700 was just for the install only without any chemical clean or Magna Filter. Being a retired heating engineer i would have thought it would take no longer than 1 day to install as a strait swop.

Just getting back to the legality issue, i am under the impression that i could carry out the work my self as a competent person as the work is not for gain,

14. Legally, yes you can.

Provided the install is 'competent'. Ie - it has been carried out in accordance with all the stuff - manufacturer's requirements, building regs, it's been fully checked & commissioned, it don't leak none, it don't blow up non, etc etc.

If you get something wrong and it becomes an issue - especially a safety one - then it would presumably be an illegal act.

If it goes wrong becuase of your install and someone is hurt, then it becomes a serious legal and liability issue.

Hey-ho.

Ok, that's one side of the issue :)

The other side is that if this GasSafe cove - who's charging £700 - doesn't carry out a chemical clean or fit a filter, and your boiler subsequently becomes damaged through 'sludge', then you can effectively kiss that manufacturer's warranty goodbye.

I think part of the benchmarking process is to confirm the 'clean' and 'filter', so what's the cove going to write in there?

So, yes, £700 is silly money. If it's really just a boiler fit job, then it's a half-day's work max. (Unless running the gas pipe is particularly torturous for some reason).

15. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Devil's Advocate, Many thanks for your input , agreed £700 is silly money thats £100 per hour for 7 hours work max, 22mm gas pipe is local to the boiler as well. Think i may have to get my tools out again

16. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

If I was you Shadow I would install it myself mate.;)

KIAB and The Shadow like this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

plumber-boy likes this.
  18. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Totally agree, go on and do it. the only issue that could arise is if your planning on moving then the solicitiors will need the notification certificate which only a gas safe enginner can raise.
    Having been in the trade do you have any mates still doing the work and would sign you off for a drink?

19. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Don't really want to go all over this again...!

However, the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, Regulation 3 make it very clear. If you are not Gas Safe, then you cannot touch gas. In your case, I cannot say that I agree but you asked the question and that is the answer. Lots of good advice above, key will be to get someone to agree to sign if off before you start. Boiler warranty and building regs will be a nightmare without it being signed off.

No-matter, Walter will be along later to tell you what to do and show off his copy and pasting skills !

20. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

I thought you had to register new boilers with building control via the benchmark
    I moved away from the tools and concentrated on plumbing design work, i dont know of any body who would sign it off for me.