Interesting Question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by The Shadow, Apr 28, 2015.

1. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Your competent and that's good enough.;)
    Your get many different opinions on here so ultimately its your call shadow.
    My first reply still stands, if I was you I'd do it myself.;)

2. Glad it's Friday.

Bar locks.

If you are planning on moving at any time, Shadow, get a GasSafe to give it a service... Sell it as 'out of guarantee, but last serviced on the xth of Januly, 2016...

3. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Thank you DA.
    Go check the regs 2(1) - 51 and 3(1)-(2)
    But getting a GSR to service it could be a good call. Doesn't make the installation legal though.

4. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

See what I mean.:rolleyes:

5. Hi GiF.

I think best not for us to go there :). (You could be right, by the way - I'm not at all saying that I know for certain.)

Absolutely, the GSR wouldn't make the install any more legit. It would be just to show that it's been checked and serviced recently - that should include gas analysis and stuff - so it's a bit like an MOT; it gives that bit of assurance that it's at least working as it should and is safe.

6. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Thanks to all the guys who contributed to my initial question.

I decided that i will be changing the boiler over myself and reconnect the HTG F & R and hot and cold water pipes. I will position the flue and dry run the 22mm gas supply for a friendly gas safe guy to solder up, commission and sign it off for me. That way i am fully legal and the boiler will be guaranteed.

Seems crazy that a COMPETENT time served plumbing and heating engineer who has 40 years in the trade and even being contracted out to British Gas at one point in my career can not do any gas work any more. As i said earlier in the post i moved away from the tools to concentrate on design work so there was no need for me to get registered

Changing Ravenheat CSI 85 T to Baxi Main 30 KW or similar

Still have my mole skins and lead bashing tools LOL

plumber-boy likes this.
  7. "Seems crazy that a COMPETENT time served plumbing and heating engineer who has 40 years in the trade and even being contracted out to British Gas at one point in my career can not do any gas work any more."

Yes you can.

If you are really 100% certain you can do this properly, solder and test the gas pipe, ensure the supply pressure is adequate, and that the exhaust analysis confirms all is well, blah blah blah, then do it. Simples.

(What I said earlier still applies - if you paid the other cove to do it for £700 and he didn't clean your system or fit a filter, then the warranty is likely to be void anyways if a pedantic manufacturer gets bolshie...)

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ther benchmark is the standard we have to work from, the benchmark log is what is left with the client as a tick of guide of the minimum required to say the boiler is safe. Trouble is part of that form asks for gas safe registration number and without that your form nor warranty is valid. You can notify it yourself but it will cost you in the region of £70.00 and you will have to provide evidence of competency. As a gas safe registered engineer it costs me £2.64 to notify an instalation.

If your in the Southampton area fit it and give me a shout I'll willing help an ex pro providing I can satisfy myself its safe.

Rulland, KIAB and Gatt like this.
  9. Dave! What a guy :)

10. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Many thanks for your help of assistance, I would give you a shout but we are in the Cheshire area.

Very kind regards

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'll second that.:):):):):):):):)

The Shadow likes this.
  12. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi mate,

As far as I know, it's a little complicated, being proven competent is upto the jury, if your not registered you will be found incompetent regardless of self acclaimed competence, if you have carried out the work correctly with no financial gain & no one knows than you clearly are competent, you will need it notified by a currently registered engineer, if there's no faults there's no action required by the operative required by law. So you know what to do....

The Shadow likes this.
  13. As G&W says - if you are DIYing this in your own home for no financial gain and you end up in court over it, it can only be because something's gorn wrong. In which case your install has clearly been incompetent :).

14. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Agreed good call

Finding a GSE engineer to check the installation and fill in the Benchmark could prove difficult.

15. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

16. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

All the Plumbing and Heating engineers that i know of a similar age did not get registered as they were coming up to retirement so there was no need to go through the process of registration.

17. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Are you talking about when ACOPS went to ACS, that was a good 15 yrs ago I reckon, a lot has changed since then, with respect, it's simple things like removing a gas meter when your soldering, test before & after, gas supply correct? Working inlet pressures & gas rate? Also if you tilt the meter (E6 & credit G4, new U6) getting it reset will require a gas safe number, you will need a 22mm gas supply for most combi's for the gas rate, please don't take our advice as the law, law for GSIUR is complicated, look at worst case... A trial in crown court whilst you plead your innocence to a bunch of people that know one thing about gas... Nothing!!!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. G&W Plumbing & Heating

I wouldn't risk it, especially after advertising it to the world, it's not worth it buddy,

19. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

20. G&W Plumbing & Heating