Intergrated Fridge Freezer HELP!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by evilmoose1987, Jun 2, 2014.

1. evilmoose1987

evilmoose1987 New Member

Hello everyone,

My first post on the forum, I have been undergoing a major refurbishment of my kitchen and it has come to the fun bit of building my units. This is the first time I have fitted a kitchen but I am an aircraft fitter by trade. This is also the first unit Ive come to build so I hope there all not like this.

I have an integrated fridge freezer and I have a few questions

1. Do I leave back board off unit to allow for ventilation ? (Im assuming I have to as it wont fit otherwise)
    2. Does the fridge help square unit up rather than the back board?
    3. I assuming I fit my top shelf on the top of my fridge then screw from the sides into the shelf and screw fridge again into top shelf? There is no pre drilled holes for shelf to go. (Tall unit)

Cheers

Nick aka Evilmoose ;)

2. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Hi Nick,

In answer to your questions......

1. Yes, leave the back out as the fridge freezer needs as much ventilation as possible.

2. Do not rely on the appliance to square up the cabinet. It is worth spending the time to ensure the cabinet is Square, Level and Upright....!!!! Put as many brackets as you feel you need to, to keep the cabinet sides square and parallel to each other.

3. In the instructions/specification for the fridge freezer, it will state the aperture size for your appliance. If it is a tall fridge/freezer, then depending on the manufacturer, the aperture size is likely to be approx 1750mm to 1800mm, but check your own appliance specification as they do vary.
    If you can get away with screwing through the sides into the shelf, and the screws will not be on show, then fine. If they are likely to show, then just fix 3 Right angled brackets to each side of the underside of the shelf and fix through them to hold the shelf in place.
    Then slide the appliance into the aperture and fix it in place according to your instructions.

When it comes to fitting the Furniture doors on the Fridge/Feezer, it will depend on which type of fixing the appliance has. Basically, there are 2 different systems that manufacturers utilize. A and B.
    A. The furniture doors hang on the appliance with the use of brackets. If this is the case, all the brackets should be able to be fitted AFTER the appliance has been fitted in the housing.

B. The furniture doors hang on the cabinet by means of kitchen unit hinges and back plates. Then, there are usually slider type fittings that fix to the appliance door which in turn get connected to the back of the furniture door, allowing both doors to open at the same time. If this is the case, then you will be far better off fitting the hinges, backplates and furniture doors BEFORE you fit the appliance into the housing.

I hope this info helps you out!

Any more advice needed, just give us a shout.

Regards, Snezza.

evilmoose1987 likes this.
  3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

What make is your kitchen?
    What type is your F/Fz. 50/50 or 70/30?
    And yes the other cabinets will be much easier. Unless you have a MW/Oven/Warm Drawer tower!

4. Moose, your f/f housing - and all the other base units - need to be vertical, 'square' and at the correct height (ie: base units flush at their tops) as individuals before they are screwed together and to the wall. No unit should rely on its neighbour - or its contents - to be kept level...

Ok, your f/f housing will be less sturdy having no back panel in the f/f section, but there will be panels in the upper and lower cupboard sections, surely? In any case, the presence of a back panel does not in the least bit guarantee that a unit is 'square'.

Anyways, you use the adjustable feet (it has adjustable feet, doesn't it?) to get it 100% plumb on the front face and on the sides. And check the diagonals at the front to make sure it's also 100% square.

This is not difficult - it just needs a systematic, logical approach. And the units need to be in their own exact correct locations before you do this, 'cos floors can vary in level and height.

Check - hmmm, a wee bitty this way - tweak - check.

5. evilmoose1987

evilmoose1987 New Member

Well after all that confusion it turns out I was using the double oven housing rather than the fridge freezer housing, I'm just about to open fridge freezer housing and start putting together.

Its great fun but never thought it would be quite as time consuming as what it has been so far.

To top off the situation below my double oven Im fitting 2 x Blum Motion Pan draws (283mm high) but there is only one lot of pre drilled holes for my runners, any ideas how I tackle this guys?

Thanks for your hints and tips, the good thing is the double oven housing is level and square but because its fitting against the fridge freezer I don't want to fit it in place until fridge freezer housing is in place.

thanks a lot

Moosey

6. evilmoose1987

evilmoose1987 New Member

Some great advice there, I do believe the type of fixing I have is the slider type fixings. I will fit hinges, backplates and furniture door prior to fitting appliance.

Thanks a lot Snezza