Intergrated fridge installation help please

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Wendyfrog, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Wendyfrog

Wendyfrog New Member

Hi, I have a man fitting my new kitchen. He was sent by a local building firm who knocked my study and kitchen into one but were to busy (?) To actually fit the kitchen . It's a long story but to cut to the problem , I have a full height intergrated fridge and separate freezer also intergrated. The man has installed them in to the cupboards but has not used the plastic strip that the instructions say to stick to the unit. I have got a feeling that this is not right. The freezer has started to ice up which makes me think that the seal is not good. I said about this to the man and he adjusted the doors but it's not really helped. Could anyone explain to me what the plastic strip does and how it should be fitted please

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

picture would be handy as there is a few different plastic strips which come with different makes of fridges.

3. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

If it's the rubber strip that goes between the side of the fridge freezer and carcass then it's not really needed it just covers the tiny gap that is there. If it's a different strip let us know so we can advise. The seal on the doors is all that's needed to seal the freezer.

seen it all before likes this.
  4. Wendyfrog

Wendyfrog New Member

20150603_225518.jpg 20150603_225913.jpg 20150603_225528.jpg Thanks I've add ed a picture of the bit of plastic. The yellow strip is the sticky bit. I've also added a picture of the instructions for attaching it which my help to decide if it is just the cosmetic strip like you think it might be.
    If the strip is not needed I wonder why the seal is not good.

5. Yes, that's cosmetic. Or at least it has nothing to do with the door seal to the fridge insides. (Perhaps it helps to force cooling air in from under the plinth and up behind the FF to cool it?)

It can sometimes be hard to tell how well an integrated door is sealing, because the appliance door over it makes it harder to see. Can you try disengaging the appliance door - I presume it's connected by a sliding clip at the opening edge?

Then leave the appliance door wide open and test the fridge/freezer doors for closing properly. It should be possible to see if the magnetic rubber seal is making good contact all the way around. Try closing the door and then pulling gently on it until it's almost opening - can you see the seal being stretched all the way around?

I'm guessing your freezer isn't a frost-free model?! (Shame - they're great :) ) Perhaps you have it turned up too high and the ambient air is humid/damp?

Big Dunk likes this.
  6. Wendyfrog

Wendyfrog New Member

It is supposed to be frost free which is why I thi k that the door is not closing properly. I will have a go at closing the appliance door of its own tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

7. You're welcome.

If it's F-free, there is definitely something amiss...

Sometimes the freezer is set a little too far back inside the unit. The kitchen unit's door then shuts against the cabinet sides before the actual freezer's door has shut fully. So the freezer door doesn't to back far enough to seal. Does that make sense?

You should see if that's the case tomorrow when you detach (perhaps fully remove) the actual kitchen unit door and then see what the freezer's door does (and even leave the kitchen unit's door off for a few days to see if the frost stops?)

Big Dunk likes this.
  8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Close the fridge door with a piece of A4 paper in the seal, try pulling it out, it should be quite hard, you'll 'feel" if it's a good seal, do this all the way around the door to check for door/seal alignment.