internal walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by -, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Guest

what type of block was used for internal walls in 30s to 60s houses was it a type of cheap concrete

2. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Cinder blocks?
    Probably highly toxic if you breath the dust.

3. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Main constituent was coke breeze, so in the UK they were known as Breeze Blocks. I think they were known as Cinder or Clinker blocks in the US.

Cheap, they break and crumble quite easily. Don't go hammering with abandon into a wall made of breeze block if you intend for it to remain fully intact.

4. Mr GrimNasty

Commonly called cinder blocks in the UK, as in the blocks made for coal power station ash.

5. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

the blocks made for coal power station ash.

If you say so, but they were only ever called breeze blocks by the builders merchants and the men with whom I worked.

6. Mr GrimNasty

Cinder blocks - perfectly common term covering many blocks. 30 years in construction and my dad was wrong all along? I'll dig him up and tell him.

e.g. in 1977 the following concrete blocks were listed by UBM - Dense aggregate(granite/limestone), Clinker, Hemelite, Lytag(Cinders - pulverized fuel ash), Pumice, Brag(expanded shale), Celcon(Cinders again), Thermalite(Cinders again)

7. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

The OP referred to the period 30s to 60s and my answer for this period was recalled from my memory (at least covering 50s and 60s). Your description of concrete blocks which were available from UBM was for 1977, not 30s to 60s.

I do not know why you think I am challenging you or your father or why you feel the need to be flippant. I have given my answer and you have given yours. There, is where I shall leave it.

8. Mr GrimNasty

Yes - & in the 70's the 'toxic clinker/ash' blocks had/were being phased out. Obviously - they were commonplace prior - I was using it to illustrate YOUR IGNORANCE OF THE TERM CINDER BLOCK THAT IS/WAS COMMONPLACE.

If YOU can't deal with flippancy or contradiction on a public forum then I suggest you do 'leave it there'.

9. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Tsk tsk.

You two... :(

10. bulgariangay

bulgariangay New Member

oooooooooohhhh hellloooooooooo isa googlemun goodwill hehe :) come and post with pontyfake and tony mun and new ones:)hahahah

i acn see you:) aheheheh:)

where all you copy that from goodwill/ :) hahaha

is easy:)

awowowowowowowowowo heheheheh :)

is easy hahahahhh :)

iws;is want sense hehehh:)

11. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Oh so, nasty Mr G. Not necessary to get so het-up and aggressive.

I still contend the main term used by the British was Breeze for the period referred to by the OP.

12. Wink McAndrew

Wink McAndrew New Member

Handbags at dawn gents. ;-);-);-)

13. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

An engineering brick in mine. Mr. G can have a clinker or two in his. ;)

14. Mr GrimNasty

Oooh 'just leave it there' eh!

I'm not disputing the fact that the name breeze block is also commonly used. In fact the word means small pieces of burnt coal! The terms cinder/clinker/breeze are all the same thing in common usage.

The OP is clearly after the constitution of the blocks not the name, so again I think you'll agree my answer is more informative.

If you think I am upset or aggressive that is entirely your misconstruction.

Thank you and good night.

15. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

0ooh,'just leave it there' eh!
    Shouting! Not polite.

"The OP is clearly after the constitution of the blocks not the name, so again I think you'll agree my answer is more informative".

The answer:
    Cinder blocks?
    Probably highly toxic if you breathe the dust.

Yep, I'll have to accept that, very informative indeed.

"If you think I am upset or aggressive that is entirely your misconstruction".

Yep, can't argue with that either, after your insults and shouting.

"Thank you and goodnight".

It's been a pleasure. I do hope you enjoy the panto at Christmas. What are you going to see this year, Cinderella, or simply known as Cinders?

;)

Gatt likes this.
  16. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Alas, I think the OP was actually after a bit of mischief-making - check out his other postings: daft obscure questions, to which he never returns.

17. Mr GrimNasty

Emphasis is not shouting, no insults whatsoever - as I said that is your misconstruction. If you can't take a bit of banter? And I thought you said flippancy was taboo?

Oh dear oh dear - 'leave it there' - go on see if you can. LOL.

Pfffffft.

18. figaro

figaro New Member

Yoy all need to grow up!!! these forums are getting too much like a kids playground.

19. Mr GrimNasty

Double pffffffffffft.

20. JH'ster

JH'ster New Member

Lytag blocks we're made by The company Lytag they we're made out of waste from power stations, they we're quite blue in colour my question is does anyone over 45 years old know the strength in N/mm2 of these old style blocks?