Internet radio.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Just bought a second-hand Roberts WM-202 on t'Bay 'cos I was looking for a new DAB radio.

Man, what an ugly beast. What an insane control layout - looks as tho' it was spewed up. By more than one person.

Very good sound, tho' - crisp, rich, balanced - ain't going to shake the ground, but it is 'full' and music is good to listen to (BBC6 Music, of course).

One of the very first internet radios, I understand, but that's of no interest to me.

Until I tried it.

JEEPERS!

Search by 'Genre'. Hmmm - what's this... Blues...Bluegrass...ok, let's try 'Classic Rock'.

Next, shall I limit that to 'UK' or 'all'?

Let's try 'all'.

Well, I don't know how long the resulting list is, 'cos I literally haven't got to the bottom of it.

What do we have?

Well, there is every possible era - classic 70's, etc - and there's - what's this? - a station devoted only to Pink Floyd 24/7?

No - there's at least TWO stations covering non-stop PF tracks. No DJs, no adverts, now't.

Wow - most of the songs I hadn't even heard before.

What's next to this? How about non-stop Deep Purple? (Gave up on that after a minute - they are great when they're good, but they ain't always good...)

What's playing now as I type? Non-stop Beatles.

I LOVE internet radio... :)

Bad news - I'm going to have to pay the guy I bought it from... I got it for £29 but I discovered that one preset didn't work - and there's only 5 in any case. When I reported this, he refunded everything and told me to keep it... I told him I'd return £15 and then planned to resell it. But that's before I discovered Int Rad :(

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are tens of thousands of internet stations, & Spotify Connect gives you access to over 30 million tracks.
    Sister has a Ocean Digital WiFi Internet Radio WR60 comes with a nice remote, tempted to get one for my workshop.:)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZWDH6L6?psc=1

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Me , I use my iPhone 4s. Cos live and work in an area where radio reception on an Ariel is carp!

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

T'internet is now the God of modern times DA . It allows us to watch our house whilst we're on holiday, keeps us up to date with the latest news as it's happening... Even tells me when me dog's watching me wanting out for a pee. (sad ain't I )

I now wonder if God isn't this mythical all powerful force, but merely a pile of silicon chips.. All hail the internet.. (that'll be 20 Hail Mary's for you)

5. Dog pee?!

How?

Anyhoo, we all know The Beatles are the best band that ever existed, don't we, even tho' we might not sit down that often to listen to their albums.

So, seriously, have this on at some point as you go about your day or surf or chat on here: http://101.ru/radio/channel/55

What a range they had. How could one wee band have so much talent? The voices! The unmistakable sound. The inimitable percussion...

A few songs will come up you won't have heard before. The Russian station also shoves out the odd cover. With emphasis on odd. And some of their solo tracks and even some live performances (jeepers, they were great even live.)

New respect to the Fab 4.

Incredible.

6. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Its just a shame the bit rate tends to be pretty low as there is a massive quality difference between internet radio and DAB or Sky / freeview :-( My fav local station only does DAB or streaming and as the AV setup in the lounge doesn't have DAB you can really tell the quality loss - dare say its fine on small radios and phones but quite poor on a proper Hi-Fi.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I grew up with The Beatles, not literally, I'm not a scouser. But they were the soundtrack to my childhood. By the time I was a teenager, I'd pretty much tired of them. I think I was in my mid thirties when I saw the film 'Let it Be' for the first time and the rooftop concert just blew me away, it took me all those years to realise what a great band they really were. Funnily enough I watched it again just recently and got blown away all over again.

Just recently there's been a song on an advert on tv, and possibly radio that I thought was a brilliant song by some new young band, on googling it I was shocked to find out it was by these b*****s.

8. joinerjohn1

Yep a very influential band, but probably not the best band that has ever existed. Anyrode, who do you think influenced the Beatles? (have a listen to some of the Beach Boys tracks and there's definitely some sounds and riffs in there that must have influenced John, Paul George and Ringo) ;););)

9. Yes, quality is more like old AM :)

But, the music...

10. Like you, I grew up with them, loving all the catchy hits. Then I listened to their ground-breaking albums, was impressed, but then stopped listening.

Being exposed - assaulted, almost - by non-stop Beatles was a revelation. There was nothing monotonous, 'cos their music was so diverse. And the sheer number of brilliant tunes! Impossible not to 'sing' along.

And then there's their lyrics - whether 'clever' or 'psychie' or 'simple', they are all poetry.

The voices! The wit! The musical talent! The personality!

A revelation.

11. Och, I said they were the 'best' as a simplistic point.

But, actually, they probably were. For all the reasons I said before - the sheer range, variety, sophistication, the melodies. Oh, my gawd - the MELODIES!

How could one band come up with so many incredible tunes? And then make each one as perfect as it can be with their unique individual talents.

They had it all. Absolutely everything.

12. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I've always considered my favourites as The Doors, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, but really I could only consider as the best, as DA says, The Beatles.

13. Absolutely.

From the simple point of which music do you listen to most, then it's not the Beatles for me either.

But for sheer awesomeness, yup, they are.

(Did I mention the 2 stations that broadcast P-F 24/7? Now that is an overdose... :oops: )

Anyone who - like me - has 'ignored' the Beatles for a number of years, should really give this station a try. Even if only for an hour of background listening.

You'll be singing your head off, and have the biggest grin on your face.

You'll also be muttering to yourself, 'they are unbelievable.'

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't stand the Beatles.

15. Lol!

PUT THAT STATION ON, AND BE AMAZED!

16. joinerjohn1

Chord progressions borrowed from classical music, riffs nicked from Brian Wilson and the lads. beats already in existence? Yep , next thing you'll be telling me the Beatles invented rock n roll. :D:D:D:D
    Not saying they weren't a great band, DA, but just not as good as some people think.. Don't forget the mastermind behind their later sounds though, George Martin,,, Now that man was pure genius. ;););)

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-8-20_12-7-12.gif

The Beatles are over hyped,& so overated, a lot of other groups were better, but over shadowed by them.

18. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

19. joinerjohn1

Nice one Fillyboy,, Can you name the coloured chap on keyboards ? (without using Google) ;);)

20. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Billy Preston?