Invoice for stuff I haven't ordered

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Aug 2, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I received an invoice this morning and nearly fell through the floor! £1,035.36 for two wall lights!!!!!

I haven't ordered any wall lights from the company who sent me the invoice and I have emailed them immediately. Anyone aware of any scams?

:mad:

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

we get about 10 scam requests a week - most common is to renew a subscription/advert in a charity magazine, usually for about £20/yr - they keep it low in the hope that ''accounts'' simply pays it

just ignore it

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Not going to ignore it, Sean, its a legitimate company so someone has ether fraudulently used my details to get the light fittings or its an invoicing error.

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

ah that's rather different - maybe ask for POD, a signature etc - it's down to them to prove you've actually received it - good luck thou :)

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Have you ever used the company before?

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The place I work at regularly receives invoices for stuff no one has ordered, or would have a use for. Even have to watch the companies we use. Last year the lift service company sent an invoice for a service in November, I know for a fact was never done. The name on the engineers worksheet, to say the service had been done, matched an employee who'd left the previous March. Signature didn't match though and we successfully proved it.

7. Lectrician

The advert renewal ones are very common! Get these quite often.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Always remove stuff from the shopping basket before you shut down the computer Un..;)

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thanks, JP. :)

10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I remember in the days when our suppliers did not have email just fax I was getting stuff I was sure was never ordered so informed all our suppliers all orders had to be confirmed with a fax and I kept copies of all faxes on PC. They were sent from PC but any incoming fax was to main office fax machine.

I had a phone call from one supplier because the caller ID on the fax did not correspond with the return fax number and it transpired it was a problem for suppliers specially with building supplies where they would get a fax asking for supplies to be dropped off but it had not come from that firm and some one would pick up the supplies from where dropped off and until the bills arrived no one knew about the theft.

OK the 19th century fax machine has now had it's day but I am sure there are other methods of doing the same thing. I have seen other variations but to post about the current ones would also show others how to do it.

11. Lectrician

large firms will generally use Purchase Order Numbers when requesting works, and invoices will not be paid unless a valid PO number accompanies the invoice. We have issues sometimes on callouts during out of hours, where PO numbers cant be generated.

We will also always use a job reference number when ordering materials at the merchants. This makes tallying materials to jobs easier for office staff, but also spotlights anything added to the account in error.

12. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a business around that this has not happened to, as stated earlier some are kept low to go undetected.

13. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Good luck with this UP, sure you will be fine. Just a balls up somewhere mate.

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes you are correct, Fats. They sent me a credit note today. All is well again with the world. :)

FatHands likes this.
  15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Nice one! ;)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Which you have to spend with them?

17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hmmm, seems a bit dubious in my book if you do have to spend with them, Forcing someone to use the supplier in question!, a neat trick possibly?.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No, I don't think so, Rulland, on this occasion anyway, that it was anything more than a genuine error. The company in question were quick to act so fair play to them. :)

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there's no trick at all - if they've sent out an (as it happens incorrect) invoice for £1000 and then a credit note (hopefully for the same amount) - UP's balance is zero :rolleyes:

if they've sent him a credit note for £1050 and a ''sorry for the mental anguish'' note then he's got £50 to spend with them

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No, Sean it was a credit note to the penny. Cancelled. :)