IR test

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by copperkev0, Mar 25, 2015.

1. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

Hi quick question. Was pre testing today with a view to changing cu in a day or so. Did a IR test from a socket on the downstairs ring results being L-N 1.67 M ohms L-E 1.54 M ohms and N-E dead short.
    I repeated the test at the cu with the results being L-N 196. M ohms N-E 201. M ohms
    and the L-E being 1.84 M ohms. Ive been round to every socket on the lower ground and nothing plugged in.
    Knowing that from the cu that the results are a pass as they're over 1 meg but require investigation, the question is why have a got a dead short from the socket I tested? (also from another socket). Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

When you tested at the socket were the N & E still connected in the c/unit?

FatHands likes this.
  3. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Did you test end to end of the ring in CU? Maybe there's a N-E fault somewhere within the ring but the cpc has been disconnected somewhere before it gets back to the CU?

FatHands likes this.
  4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Open the faulty sockets.

5. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

Yes the N and E where still connected.

6. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

I did test end to end at cu. Check continuity on all and the readings where spot on.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

So if the main switch was turned on the neutral and earth were connected together hence your s/c result.

8. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

Main switch off.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Just put L+N together and test against E at the CU. There are is probably something plugged in that you don't know about.

10. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

All kitchen ripped out along with dinning room every outlet exposed, living room, hallway all sockets checked nothing plugged in.

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well just test L+N against E and if there really is a N-E fault that will also show as 0.00Mohms. You need to disconnect the L, N and E from the CU else you will be testing N and E of all the other circuits. :)

FatHands likes this.
  12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Leaving the N and E connected at CU is going to cause you issues with even the main switch open. The N is common to other circuits via the CU. Perhaps another circuit has a fault you're picking up.

Always test IR at the CU, disconnecting the neutral of the circuit, and opening the MCB. Leave the earths connected.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I believe thats what I just said! Are you so up yer own **** you never read anybody elses posts.

14. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Sometimes a faceplate screw can graze a neutral wire stuffed into a metal backbox, may be worth unscrewing the sockets one by one if all else fails?

15. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

With the readings i'm getting from the circuit at the cu is the low reading from the L-E likely to cause any problems when the new split load board is fitted?

16. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

Shall try that tomoz. Thanks

17. Lectrician

Posted the same time you rude old ****. You said disconnect the earth which is wrong.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is not wrong it doesn't make any difference whether you leave the cpc connected or disconnect it. Disconnecting it means you are testing only the wire under investigation. What was the word in asterisks? Mine was a rs e

19. Lectrician

You always leave the earth connected. What if the L or N is faulty through something else such as an earthed immersion tank, a metal clad socket fixed to a steel purlin etc? What if a joint is full of water and has a low ins res to true mother earth? How woud you pick this up if you're disconnecting the earth from the earth bar?

It's wrong. It's in to guidance notes. It's practiced by all normal sparkies. Disconnecting the earth is not helpful, it's a hinderance.

Quite worried with your obsession with my ar se. My asterisked word? Can't really remember, but several fit.

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:D Reg 612.3.1

However, having established that there may be a fault it is then a fault finding test not a verification test is it!

I knew you would eventually **** me off.

BLUEJACKET likes this.