IR test

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by copperkev0, Mar 25, 2015.

1. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Personally I think this is a good forum, likes, dislikes, points member this member that who cares, I do put a bit of advice here and there if the opportunity arises. If a post or request comes to the board and has been dealt with fine I will leave it at that but when someone posts a simple request and gets a debate that turns into an argument :) . Some of you here are like clockwork stick in the key give it a turn and away you go. I will always be more than happy to turn that key a bit more. :D

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Oh my...

3. flateric

Oh boy ........

Rulland likes this.
  4. High-Voltage

High-Voltage Member

Oh Dear...............

5. flateric

That one was done a while ago. :D Not popular didn't go down to well :(

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Parallel paths exist everywhere.
    A metal clad socket fixed to a steel purlin.
    A galv conduit box fixed to a steel purlin.
    A dual flush accessory box with two circuits.
    An immersion.
    A boiler or cent heat controls.
    Some TV boosters.
    Hall and landing light switch in same back box.

The list is not exhaustive.

I find it a hinderance, and you're not testing everything by disconnecting.

Risteard likes this.
  7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Look, I know my job inside out. I agree that the cpc must be connected to the earth bar when doing a verification test. However, I pointed out that when a fault is suspected, ie if the verification test shows unsatisfactory results then you need to start breaking the circuit down to find the fault. When doing this you are focusing on the cable itself and attempting to locate where the fault lies. It is pretty simple stuff and I have no idea why everyone is getting so wound up over a straight forward easy test. The reason I am ****** off with Lec is that he made a trivial remark about my work and made a meal out of it. Then he refused to acccept it (in true forum fashion) and just continued to defend his silly comments (in true forum fashion). Then he posted something on this thread that has caused all this fuss. There is no need to shout at me risteard and tell me what I already know. The difference is I know a lot more than the basics and if people don't want to share my wisdom then go argue amongst yourselves. I ain't interested.

Almost 12 years down the line since I got in to this trade I have made many mistakes. I have learned from every single one of them. At this point in my profession I am at the most comfortable I have ever been and the knowledge I have gained has made me a decent spark. The basics of testing is just that, basic. When you are out in the field doing it for real instead of what a bloody text book or a Reg says then it is much more difficult to get right. That is where knowledge and experience comes in. IR testing is susceptible to all kinds of influences. Hidden equipment connected to the circuit, lamps/bulbs left in fittings, neons in accessories, switches off instead of on, faulty appliances left plugged in or non-faulty. It is all very well spouting Regs and shouting at me what should be done. I can read just as well as the next bloke but how to put it in to practice is where people fall down. I don't pretend to be the worlds greatest electrician but I can hold my ground when challenged and I can spot people who don't actually do any testing a mile off when they start shouting at me. You don't need to use the full 500V when fault finding either, you can use 250V. It is possible to work out when in the field which particular tests and which configuarion you need to find a fault. Basics tell you the method, experience teaches you the process.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    FatHands likes this.
  8. Lectrician

You do start breaking the circuit down, but splitting earths doesn't help. You're then only looking for a fault to the CPC, which IT MAY NOT BE. How does it help you? Explain to me that. As long as the L and N is out, that's all you need to find a fault. Dropping is earths is really not needed. You chase your earth looking in two places for one fault.

UP. I brought up inane insulation tape because it was the small thing. I didn't want to bring up all the other points too. I still havn't. I don't see your CU install as particularly high end to be honest. If it's a reflection of your 12 years, I would be worried, and wouldn't want you on my books. Others who comment that it's excellent work obviously do not have high standards either. I am not too fussed with making enemies. That's already happened. I can live with that. I'm not looking for praise and applause like you. I would prefer to see a CU like that ripped out and started again.

Your CU joints in trunking? Are we sure that complies?
    The holes in the side of the CU? Why so messy? Did you use a bread knife?
    Why such a tight shot of the CU? Why not a wide shot to show the messy cables coming down each side?
    Why are the tails just thrown in below with no thought?
    The sheath could do with cutting back shorter.
    The inside is neat around the RCBOs, but no where else.
    If you were short of breakers, why not go larger?
    If you were so proud of your taped joints and trunking, why no photos of that looking for praise?

Flateric's CU is thoughtfully done. Time taken.

9. Lectrician

Why would I back down on something I feel correct about?

I'm done UP. You carry on with your electrical work. Good luck with your next CU. I'm clicking ignore now.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

**** off Lec you are a nasty piece of work IMHO. I would not like to work for an egotistical **** like you. Your on mine now along with spinlondon :)

11. Lectrician

Right where I want to be :) Buy.

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

How do you know that the fault is to the cpc core in the cable and not to the general mass of Earth? You don't.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Bizarre comment. You can test all different combinations and build up a picture of what may be happening under test conditions. No one result will guarantee that it is the fault. Experience will help. Having read the OP several times over I personally don't think there is a fault it was innapropriate testing that led to the inconsistency in the results.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Christ thank God I didn't post a pic of the cu change I did last week.

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi Ben

It comes to something when a forum member whom you thought you liked and got on okay with decides to turn on you. I have no problem with what I have done and what I do. If he feels my CU is below standard it just shows how unreal he is. I come across some right untidy examples in the course of my work mate and I am sure mine aren't half as bad as most.

:)

16. High-Voltage

High-Voltage Member

'BUY' BUY what?, that's confusing, or do you mean 'bye', it's a different spelling. Not so clever after all, is one ! ;)

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Screwfix forum - even more drama than 28DL, and that's saying something :eek::oops::D

18. Lectrician

Ooh. You caught me out. Slap my wrists. You know what they say about people who feel the need to correct others grammar and speeeling.....

19. Lectrician

I live in the real world, working a 40 hour plus week, doing some very varied work. I don't think your CU is the worst example by far, but it's not the best either. I would love to see a wider shot of it. Once the cover goes on, your hard work vanishes and is forgotten. That's not where you should be spending your time on neatness IMO. I am not keen on the trunking issue either, but again, I did not push this, as could see you getting wound up over just tape, so left it.

I only turned on you when you kept turned on me. I deliberately did not say much about your CU pic when you posted it, other than the insulation tape, and was not trying to wind you up. It was a general comment about tape, albeit, it did appear as if I was directing it at just you. I wasn't, it was meant in general terms. I hate seeing taped up blocks behind switches and light fittings too. From that point onwards you were constantly rude and derogatory towards me, and expected me not to respond? It started from a stupid comment about tape. I could of pointed out all the other points I didn't like right at the start, but chose not to, and for days have not. You just kept on, so I thought why not. Let him know what I think. I have nothing to loose. It's not like you're on my invite to dinner list.

20. Lectrician

I can't find enough time to do stuff to post over there at the moment! Do need to get out and about a little.