IR test

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by copperkev0, Mar 25, 2015.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Nice day outside isn't it. Bliss not being able to see your posts. Just a little flag-you are ignoring content by this member. :D:D:D ;) :p

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I get that with Ryueler :)

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I believe you, I really do. :rolleyes:

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

UP and Lec, it would be a shame for you to fall out and get personal over this. Each of you has made valid comments regarding the process of finding the fault but I do agree with UP that disconnecting the earths will help pinpoint the fault. Either way disconnecting or not is a personal preference. Mine is to see if I can find it with a multimeter on battery type voltage teasts rather than using an insulation resistance test. Once I have tracked it down then reconnect everything and back to the IR test.

At the end of the day as long as the fault is found and rectified does it really matter whether the earths are connected or not during the process?

C'mon guys, put your differences down and get back to what you do best - advising not arguing. The forum needs you both to make your expert and varied comments and opinions.

Just my thoughts, hope you will agree.

seneca and FatHands like this.
  5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'd personally disconnect them, then test to BOTH :

1) unconnected circuit CPCs
    &
    2) Earth Bar.

Sort of covers all possibilities then doesn't it?

If there's a fault to earth when connected, then you're going to want to disconnect it anyway to diagnose which type of fault it is anyway.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lets all post pics of our DB work (note the proper use of the word DB and not CU) and we can then take the **** out of each others work..:D

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yeah gents dont fall out, just learn from one another yeah? ;)

plumber-boy likes this.
  8. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

Going back to the OP and ignoring the tests from the sockets. Having taken out the "basic" IR test at the CU with cables completely disconnected, I'm not quite sure what is meant by inconsistency in the results ??

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Yours would have half a butty and a bottle of ketchup left in it... ;)

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

copperkev. The inconsistency word might not be the right one to use. He tested it one way and then tested it a different way and got different results. That's what I meant. :)

12. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

This inspired me to change my profile pic, what do you think of this one?

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

That's a real crappy job Sparks - nice one m8..:)

14. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Thanks JP, it's one of my finest. Client didn't like it though so now has a nice new metalclad. Even took exception to the rubber & lead wiring too so have had to change that to some new fandangled pvc stuff.

15. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Thanks JP, Thanks Bassa.
    Served my time as a "sparks"....proud of it.
    Was calculating that i have done approx 4000 call outs when i was working,,,,from castles(literally) to council houses.
    Never done house bashing....just a few rewires.
    Instrumentation and process control, QA and QC professional on multi million pound projects ,electronics etc. ... lecturing....and still amazed at some of the knowledge on here. Different angles and approaches to problems.
    Retired, 47 years in industry and ivory towers...still learning...but with ever shorter tolerance for inane sh**e.
    Lot of respect for you guys in this current work climate.
    regards
    RS