Is 10mm feed sufficient for WC cistern?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gararon, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Gararon

Gararon New Member

due to restrictive access, im considering running feed to WC in 10mm copper (approx 2 meters in length). The float mechanism is new plastic type. Could anyone please tell me if theres any reason why I shouldnt? I could increase to 15mm for last 400mm prior to connection - to possibly minimise any potential 'force' issues.
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It will depend on whether the supply is mains pressure or stored cold and if the latter, what head there is.

With mains, no real problems, just ensure the valve has the correct HP insert. For stored, with an LP insert you might find it a little slow with a typical 2m head.

3. Gararon

Gararon New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Must be they do make 3/8 inch cistern connections, but as said above ,needs to be mains fed.

5. Gararon

Gararon New Member

It is mains fed. My main concern is whether the increase in pressure (through the 10mm) will eventually affect the plastic float mechanisms within the cistern somehow, as im not certain how robust they are. Im considering increasing back to 15mm prior to connection to cistern inlet. Perhaps im worrying about nothing? Thanks both of you for taking an interest by the way.

6. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

internal diameter of flexi pipe connectors are probably same as 10 mm micro
    bore so don't sweat it.

7. Andy_

Andy_ New Member

It won't increase pressure, simply reduce the flow rate. It will just take a bit longer to fill although you probably won't notice.

8. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

a bit squirty squirty :confused: