is a house rewire possible?????

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by notajarofglue, Jul 11, 2016.

1. notajarofglue

notajarofglue New Member

ello. we have been told we need a rewire by 2 electricians who said the cable is old NO earth wire on lights and damage from rodents in loft OLD fuse box and other stuff.
    1 electrician said might be better to move out other said he can do wilst we are living there but a pain as lots of stuff will have to moved around and they will start in the loft and work downwards. its a 3 bed terraced house and they both said about 3 weeks work and 3 thousansd five hundred ruffly with parts and labour. what do you guys think?

Girish likes this.
  2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Spot on advice, correct amount of time, and depending where you are in the country a very fair price.

3. Clearly a major job, Najog.

If you do decide to stay in the hoosie, then please don't get under their feet, watch over their shoulders, huff or puff, or say things like "Is that the right way to..."

That way, you'll all get out of this alive :)

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is a house rewire possible?

One must also ask the question - Is it possible to turn on a tap and watch water emanate from the spout?

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Not being funny or owt DA - but I wouldn't want a bunch of renegade sparks running all over my gaff.

Joking aside that's quote seems very fair (wonder if its cash or does the quote include vat etc) - would be nice if Not could post back to show what the price includes, and then if he goes ahead again post back on how the job went etc.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Not being funny JP: Would you want a chancer who'll 'do it cheaper for cash' taking your house to pieces and wiring it? What other shortcuts are they likely to take?

And just because someone's not VAT registered it doesn't mean they're bad either: it just means their turnover is less than approx £90k. At £3.5k per 3-week rewire, that's 17 jobs in a year, for a turnover of £59.5k, which is below the VAT threshold.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As DA says, don't get under their feet. Although, at times I wish I had done that with some builders I employed - their short-cuts and cowboy antics are still appearing a few years later!

I would suggest having a meeting with them everyday - maybe just for 15 minutes when you can agree what the next days' target is, any problems or issues, confirm where sockets/switches are to go - you may want them moved slightly or doubles in laces of singles for example.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

See what you mean State - I suppose Not will check thoroughly before letting anyone loose on his gaff rewire - nowt worse then being woke up in the morning by a bunch of herberts working on your gaff.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Well it wont be hard to find them for an off site meeting - usually they will be sitting in your shed brewing up tea, and talking a load of cobblers about how many pigs ears they downed last night at the local battle cruiser, and how fit the barmaid is

10. Hmmm, actually, as JP and others suggest above, make absolutely certain that the quote they provide is detailed; it covers which rooms, whether ring/light/kitchen/showers/ etc are included. What bits will be completely new (sockets, etc), whether making good is included (ready for paint), make of components, contents of CU etc etc etc.

And, yes, without being intrusive (you gotta trust them to some extent), also make sure they keep you updated on what they are doing.

Also ensure it's agreed what your contribution is - do you shift the furniture, etc?

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh well its Friday afternoon I will just check how the Sparks are doing on my gaff rewire.

Where the xxxx are they?

A lone voice from the apprentice emanates from the rubble (it was once a wall)

''Theve gone down t'pub guv ---- its Friday afternoon and the strippers are on, its not fair they always leave me to clear the xxxxx up''

What the xxxx..the missus will go ballistic..think I will go and join them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    leesparkykent likes this.
  12. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

lol made me chuckle that.

13. Girish

Girish New Member

Hi there
    Today's going rate is £150 per day of 8hours perror person . That 8 hours includes travelling time too. If the property is occupied it will take longer to finish the job . Not to forget moving the contents and furniture around the working areas. So that's obstacles. Now count the number of sockets switches fuse box . So price you got that depends on all these factors

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I know we been down this route before but 3 weeks to do rewire I just done 2 bed bungalow occupied in 2half days don't understand why 3 weeks

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Most sparks I know will take a day/day and a half (with niggles) to swap a board peter and you are rewiring in one more day than this?!

16. Sparkielev

Yeah and everything done right except for plastering which I tell customer I don't do, if you have right lads working with you and crack on with it find 3weeks hard to understand

17. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Ah so its a team pete - I think or rather assume you meant its just you, my bad

18. Sparkielev

Last year a local firm were doing 1 day rewires but it was dog rough

19. Sparkielev

Just 2 of us sometimes 3

20. Sparkielev

It my own business been doing it 20year only had 1 bad customer if you have right lads working could do that house in week max