Is any of this asbestos?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SamC, Feb 26, 2017.

1. SamC

SamC New Member

Hi guys,

Recently moved into a new property and am looking to do some decorating work.

I am a little concerned that the textured ceiling / wall paper might contain asbestos so I thought I would ask here first.

I have attached some pictures and any help would be much appreciated.

Wallpaper:
    1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwv_JQFLfdiJdTYtU2hkaHlpUFk

Ceiling paint:
    1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwv_JQFLfdiJOUlhZkNwZ2hHVXM
    2. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwv_JQFLfdiJZlNGRm1NZ1RYSzg

Cheers,

Sam

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

It all looks like painted wallpaper to me.I don't know of any wallpaper that contains asbestos.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As above,
    1st looks like woodchip. (look closely and you should find the brown bits are actual bits of wood) 2nd/3rd is blown vinyl. I hung the same pattern on a couple of my ceilings back in the 80's, easy strip too if I recall.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No worries exactly as teabreak has already said.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Painted wood chip once you get behind it, can come off in huge sheets - the only thing to watch is that some of flakes that come off are like razor blades :eek:

6. SamC

SamC New Member

Awesome thanks guys!!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wear mask when removing it.

8. SamC

SamC New Member

Is that because you think it might be asbestos?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, dry dusty plaster dust, fine paper particles,etc are no good in your lungs!:eek:
    And wear safety specs.

10. SamC

SamC New Member

Great, will do. Thanks

11. GordonK

GordonK Member

my treatment of this stuff is simple ... Get one of those big scrapers and just use brute force to scrape as much of the cover off as you can .. it should come off in decent strips (dont score the paper or any of that ****) then just soak whats left behind and it will peel off clean as a whistle ...

12. SamC

SamC New Member

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all your help here. I just got around to pulling off the wallpaper and have discovered what is underneath (see attached photo).

I plan on painting this afterwards and was wondering whether I should remove the pink and blue paint/paper as well?

Cheers,

Sam

Attached Files:

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Try to get back to plaster if you can, I have just had a similar job at home. Blasted gloss green paint up to dado level. Some came off OK with a steamer but one wall I had to use chemical stripper!