Is BAL primer sufficient? Help!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jack Johnson, May 12, 2014.

1. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson New Member

Hi,
    I have just plasterboarded my bathroom with standard board. And now am worried that it won't be sufficient as one of the corners is where I will be having the shower eventually. It's already plasterboarded now so short of removing the boards and replacing with more suitable boarding..I may just have to live with this.
    My main query is that I plan to tile the room from bath to ceiling directly onto the plasterboard and have read that I must use a primer like BAL before tiling. Will that be enough with a strong tile adhesive (recommendations welcomed)..the tiles are quite large (300mm x 500mm) so I am worried about them holding on the plasterboard... Other people have advises me to skim the wall prior to tiling too, is that advisable? And if so, would I still need to use primer?
    All advice welcomed, as you can tell...I'm fudging along at the mo. Thanks

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Use a paint on / membrane tanking kit in any areas that will get wet. Tile backer board would have been better. First fix the plasterboard with lots of screws as there will be a lot of weight with the tiles.

3. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson New Member

Plasterboard is pretty secure. Would it make sense to Skim the wall first?

4. metrokitchens

Nope. That will make it weaker. Good quality waterproof adhesive and grout.

5. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson New Member

Bought Unibond, triple action anti-mould adhesive/grout in one. That be ok?

6. metrokitchens

I don't think that is the best stuff to use. Maybe one of the tilers on here can help.

7. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

Use waterproof matting from Topps tiles. Use a flexible cement based adhesive straight onto the plasterboard using a mosaic notched trowel. then put up the matting, like wall papering, make sure you leave it long so it laps onto the shower. Make sure you flatten it all out to get any bubbles and excess adhesive. You don't have to wait for it to dry you can tile straight onto that.
    100% waterproof.

8. tic.tic

tic.tic New Member

Topps tiles......the yellow peril....stay away from them use a local indepdent tile shop or ctd....lot cheaper than Topps...