Is coving in or out?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by plumplasdec, Mar 14, 2008.

1. plumplasdec

plumplasdec Member

I am skimming my ceiling, I am thinking of putting up some plaster coving, is coving still in? have you plasters put much of it up recently?
    I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Surely coving is out of fashion now!

3. RE COVING

RE COVING New Member

THIS IS A ON GOING ARGUMENT, SOME PEOPLE THINKITS GREAT OTHERS NOT SO MUCH, I PERSONALY PREFARE THE CORNICE COVING RATHER THAN THE STANARD GYPROC STUFF, LOOKS A LOT BETTER, RELE SETS THE ROOM OFF
    MARK FROM M.R.M. PLASTERING SYSTEMS

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

itsa bit like hi-gloss kitchens, to the indivdual taste of the person whos choosing :)

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Naff, along with Artex, Sapele Doors, Brass door furniture and Gold Bathroom accessories.

6. rekoj

rekoj New Member

carp. Period, repo plaster mouldings in period houses - nice :)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

....aluminium doors and windows in country cottages,leaded light windows in 80's semis, lace curtains, marley tiled floors, polystyrene ceiling tiles, plastic ornaments, block paved driveways, house names like dunroamin, swags and pelmets for curtains, massive CRT teles, formica on the doors, belfast sinks, plastic bath panels, plastic tap tops, musical door chimes, garden gnomes......I can do this just by looking around me in my own home!

8. plumplasdec

plumplasdec Member

I'll give that a miss then, Thanks very much for all help.

9. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

I've done the whole of my 30's house in 'shadowline' coving :(

I like it :)

It's not 'patterned/moulded', but has a more interesting profile than just plain coving. Also, there are a few external corners (chimney breasts, etc) which really does help. Oh, and my ceilings are quite high - 2.5m ish, with picture rail in most rooms.

Plumpasdec, what age and style is your house?

10. plumplasdec

plumplasdec Member

Hi Dev,

It's a flat, I have taken down the kitchen wall to make it open plan so hopefully it will be quite modern, i now have a room 13ft X 25ft I would be gratefully for any ideas.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeers mate.

11. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Rough sawn 4x2 painted black and screwed around ceiling as fake beams - you know you want to.

12. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Coving can be useful if the ceiling/wall joint is cracked through movement in the floor above (i.e people tramping about upstairs, dropping things in the loft etc.

Done properly, it helps to pin everything together again to stop the hairline cracks re-appearing.

If it's a modern flat just use plain coving - anything more ornate and you might as well go the whole hog and get two large stone lions either side of the front door...

13. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Rough sawn 4x2 painted black and screwed around
    ceiling as fake beams - you know you want to.

Mmmm...Me-wanna....

14. plumplasdec

plumplasdec Member

Thanks for your input Jolly, it is a second floor flat (top floor) I have put up a new ceiling I will be skimming ceiling.

15. devil's advocate

Hi plumplasdec.

Has the partitioning wall been completely removed clean to the sides? Or are there 'pillars' remaining up each wall? If the latter, then def go for coving - it looks superb going around outside corners, and will make a feature of it.

If the former, then it's up to you. I'd still do it, I think. As said above, go for 'plain' coving. By this I mean no pattern or mouldings on it.

However, you can get more interesting 'plain' types, like the kind I used. It's very effective.

I'll try and find a link to give you an example.

16. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Out, very little going into new build now.

17. plumplasdec

plumplasdec Member

Hi Dev,

It has been completely removed,I have decided not to go for it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your opinion.

18. plumplasdec

plumplasdec Member

Cheers for that Hot Doooooooooooooooooooog.

19. devil's advocate

Cheers for the reply, plumlasdec.

I'm well gutted tho'...