Is Dry Mix Concrete OK for Fence Posts?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rmc, Jul 1, 2015.

1. rmc

rmc Member

A local builder is going to erect a front garden fence for me. It' s a fairly conventional affair, with slotted concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and wooden fence panels.

Asking him how he was going to concrete the posts in, he said he was going to use a 'dry mix' which relies on soil moisture to slowly set.

Now I've put concrete posts up myself in the past using the the sort of mix you mix with water before shoveling into the hole, setting over a day or more. I've also read of PostCrete type mixes which you mix with water whilst in the hole, setting in minutes. The 'dry mix' he referred to is a bit unknown to me, although I remember a fencer 20 years ago using it for a simple wooden post/fence affair in another front garden. At the time, I wondered if it was a bodge?

My builder bloke said it was better as it wouldn't leave the 'fractional movement' certain other mixes can do with posts. Now, I've used this builder a few times and always been 100% happy with his work, a real experienced man. So as a mere DIYer I didn't want to ask 'are you sure that's the best way to set concrete posts?.

Just hoping some Fencing pros can say if my builder's right to use this dry stuff? Should I water the area periodically afterwards or not to help it set?

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Not an expert but my mate who fitted fences for the local council says this is the way he did it. When you think about it if the mix is tamped down hard round each post it won't move and will go off with the damp from the ground. I would just let him get on with his job. He would not be doing it this way if he had a lot blown over in the past.

CGN likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It is absolutely the right way to do it, wet mix and props for the posts is ok for diyers who have all the time in the world, but those of us who need to earn, do it so we can fit the panels and carry on with the next bay, I have literary have fitted hundreds of bays this way.

4. rmc

rmc Member

Thank you both for your opinions, I think you're both right.

Initially, I was a bit surprised as I'd heard the 'Mix in hole' versus 'Mix outside then shovel in' debate, and I was worried that dry powder in the ground was some kind of ultimate bodge, but I think you're right. He's just finished the job, and it's bloody lovely. A real old pro I trust.

Phil - as you say you've fitted hundreds this way, would you advise any watering around the post area now to encourage setting, or would you leave well alone?

Cheers,

rmc

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You could put some water around the hole if you want, but don't go mad as you may well end up with a wobbly post. No more than a gallon a post poured in slowly. :)

6. rmc

rmc Member

OK, I'll give it a very gentle watering soon, but nothing too much. I guess the stuff will set sooner or later now, but perhaps not so fast in a heat-wave like today!

Cheers,

rmc.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In weather like we have at the mo, he may have watered the hole just before putting the mix in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really