Is it best to line first?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ghost-1, May 3, 2015.

1. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I have 2 walls to hang some fairly expensive paper. (Wife went mad in "Next" catalog)

Walls are not brilliant, so I thought about cross lining first with an 800 grade lining paper, (never using 1200 or above again....that's like cardboard)

Does/will it bubble when hanging over the lining.
    To be honest, I have never papered onto lining paper before, so not sure how it will react.

Cheers

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be honest, I have never papered onto lining paper before, so not sure how it will react.

It's no different from hanging paper on any other wall, size the wall, let dry and then hang the lining paper and size over it as you go, let dry overnight. It is recommended that a gap between 1 to a max of 3mm is left between the paper joins, these gaps allow for the paper expanding again and avoids any overlap of the joins when the top paper is hung over it so do not worry any gaps as they are covered by the top paper and will not show through when dry.

You may get a few bubbles to the lining paper but these will go when paper dries fully.

The hanging instructions should mention if a lining paper is required! 800 grade is a little on the thin side if the wall is bad, use 1400 grade myself and sometimes 1700 grade.

How expensive is the paper?

Ghost-1 likes this.
  3. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I've papered over single and double lined walls quite a few times without a problem. I've always cross lined, apart from anything else I find it easier to hang a few long runs of paper rather than lots of vertical pieces.

Occasionally I have had bubbles when the paper goes on, but they will go down again and stick as the paper dries, however I rarely have paper bubble at all. I remember my dad having kittens when I was younger as the paper in the lounge bubbled as he was hanging it over lining paper. He got the decorator next door in (who originally lined the room for the previous owners) and his advise was to not panic, it will sort its self out as it dries, and he was right.

I always go for the cheapest lining paper I can get, and then double it up. I've gotten better results with thin but 99p a roll paper from home bargains doubled up than I have gotten with thick lining paper. I tend to do a vertical run, then cross line, then paper.

Just make sure all your lining / finish paper is properly soaked before you hang it, I leave it about 8 - 10 minutes before I hang it.

Overall hanging onto lining paper seems easier than hanging onto bare plaster - the surface goes well with the paste, and you know a freshly lined wall is clean and smooth.

Ghost-1 likes this.
  4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Cheers Both.........so my lining saga continues.

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Do the Pro's prefer ready mix adhesive.....or the old solvite powder?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Solvite extra strong powder.

7. The Bigfella

The Bigfella New Member

I prefer the powder...can control mix better..
    Although ready mix good for patching, repair, borders etc

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For me powder although depends on what the manufacturers recommend, for what you want Solvite will be fine.

9. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I had just been reading up on the thicker grades of paper (very sad I know, but nothing was on the box) and some suggest using a heavy duty ready mixed paste. Generally on grades 1700 upwards.

I have never hung anything that grade before........it must be thick enough to make boxes out of?

10. Boolay

Boolay Member

I use the powder for lining then a ready mixed for the finish paper as it's less messy