Is it just me or is everything just *??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sparks., Mar 29, 2015.

1. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Even MK gear is disappointing me now days! Tried to fit an MK FCU last week. How the Fek are you supposed to get the flex into the crappy plastic flex outlet 'thingy'?! What happened to the tried and tested cord grip an' two screws?? If there's a secret to getting the flex in then someone please tell me!!

Next, went to fit a Timeguard Boost timer. Timeguard used to make good quality gear, but now it's absolute rubbish. The terminal screws (which, of course are also ****) have to be backed right out of their wafer thin receptacles in order to get the wires in, and they promptly fall out and get lost withing the plastic unit. Had to shake it about vigorously just to try and recover the screws. Utter ****.

It seems I'm really struggling to find anything that's made properly these days. It's hard to tighten connections securely without breaking something. Surely standards can't go on slipping in the way they have? The IET's answer to this is to put everything in a fireproof box! Consumer units this year, maybe all electrical fittings next?? Why don't they just sort out and improve the quality of the gear they expect electricians to use??

That's my rant over for today.

FatHands and TallPaul1878 like this.
  2. TallPaul1878

TallPaul1878 New Member

90% of the builders I work with specify we use Volex components and I've never had much of a problem with their stuff.

MK, on the other hand, when I see their stuff on the spec I just groan. The fused spurs have terminals that just go on forever and don't get me going on that garbage they call a "consumer unit".

MK: The Electrician Choice, my ****!

3. TallPaul1878

TallPaul1878 New Member

Another thing I've noticed is the amount of times I've been called out to replace a failed part, straight out of the box in under a week.

Mains powered doorbells are the absolute worse. I had to replace almost 40 doorbells on one job due to the transformers packing up.

It's clear that these brands have gone and found the absolute cheapest components they can possibly find and this has led to a dramatic fall in quality. Surely this cost cutting will back fire from the sheer volume of returned goods.

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Prefer Hager, seems really solid stuff.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Self tapping screws into plastic back boxes are always getting threaded. I end up having to use a bigger self tapping screw. Utter crud.

6. magicmerlin

magicmerlin New Member

hi there

i recently had the misfortune of trying to fit a vapour proof fitting in a commercial kitchen offered up the grey top part put in four screw and watched it fully distort in a uniform manner ? backed off the screw and now only just tighten up enough to keep the shape the plastic diffuser is where all the strength is now a bit like a bonded car window screen

verdict utter rubbish everything is so thin also had a cat 2 light fitting catch fire on the end of a tube where the moulded plastic had insulated patches of the pin connector the plastic flash had not been removed all made in china !

sunday morning moan over

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I agree with the MK reference. MK is expensive and crud. Their CU's are the flimsiest example of any on the market. I am convinced they are trading on reputation alone these days because quality is completely absent from their range.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  8. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I've always found MK to be fine in the past, it's only the last year or two things have gone down hill. It was really noticable when they changed their Sentry CU.... For the price, the old GET (now Shneider) stuff is still pretty good. Never really used Volex before, thought it was just diy quality sold by Screwfix & the sheds? I'm starting a couple of new projects soon so looking for something other than MK to try out...any more recommendations?

eric the fish likes this.
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I rather like the MK connection units - however using them is a rarity because I normally only buy GET Ultimate stuff

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If you want quality then Crabtree is about the optimum value IMHO. Schneider (GET) is good for the price but their fcu fuse covers are brittle and I always seem to break the leading edge when levering open the fuse cover. Denmans Basics range and Designa range are decent enough for the price, so is LAP range in Screwfix and BG range in screwfix and some wholesalers are stocking BG too now. Volex are the budget range of Electrium who do Wylex, Crabtree, Volex and Siemens. I used to like Ashley stuff but don't get to see it around these parts but it is nice stuff if you can get it.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Get yourself one JP and then explain to me just how to push a 2.5mm flex into the 'flex outlet'.....please :)

12. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

One of the main reasons for using MK is that the range is so good. On some jobs you just can't get all you need from the same manufacturer. Even MK don't do a 32Amp switch without neon when you need one!!
    Used to love the 'Demans designa' GET range but the stuff they sell now as 'designa' is utter ****. It looks and feels terrible. I don't know why anyone uses it. All bare steel terminal screws which are no good in a damp old Cornish cottage! I do like the Ashley J501 junction boxes, be even better if they had two screws to hold the lid on securely rather than just the one.
    Never tried Crabtree, always looked a bit 'bulky' but maybe I should give it a go?

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Denman's are introducing a new accessory range that I've not got around to using yet. I think Eaton make them. Crabtree is bulky, accepted, but no denying the quality.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ashley 501 junction boxes,are very useful, agree it needs a second screw, also liked Crabtree products.
    Scolmore Clik Flow 20amp push in connectors are great, makes connecting downlights so easy.

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes, I used one of those click connectors the other day for the first time. Only one side has a cable grip for some odd reason so although it did the job wasn't overly impressed. I used it to lengthen a flex to a cooker hood.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Try using 1.5 Sparks..:D

17. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Had a quick look at their 'new' range and it looks as cheap and nasty as the last. Shame they don't do the GET anymore, I have to shop elsewhere for that now which is an inconvenience. I think they told me they are no longer stocking Crabtree either ;-(

18. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I did. It still won't go! Try it!!

19. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Agree, good connectors. I used the Scolmore 3pin Uk and 2pin continental click in modules in my Bulgarian house. Look great, but trip over the hoover wire and they 'click' right out of their housing! Not so good.

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely you remove the outlet clip(so it opens), put the cable in it, then replace it !

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Josh boy likes this.