Is it my SDS drill or my walls

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Yakkety, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Yakkety

Yakkety New Member

Hi, I bought a Bosch SDS drill gbh20000 but the first hole I tried to drill it just bounced off the bricks. Other people have said that the bricks in my walls are extremely hard but I would have expected a Bosch blue to handle them. I borrowed a Titan 5kg which did the job like going through butter but I my arm felt like it was going to fall off after 4 holes. Do you guys think I have a duff drill or do I need to go for the next model up. Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't find that Bosch drill.

Probably a 2kg version, shouldn't have problems going through hard bricks,I have old Bosch 2kg sds drill with good bits it will go through Accrington bricks & Staffordshie blues which are very hard bricks, my larger 5kg Bosch will go through them a lot quicker though, as it's a more powerful drill.
    Look at your bits your using, you need decent quailty bits with the harder masonry.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Might be the drill, I've got the gbh2000 and it's an excellent drill. I've also used the 5kg titan one, and found it about as powerful but much much heavier. The titan had no noticeable additional power over my Bosch.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree,it could be the drill, but, it could be the bits, blunt,their quailty,etc, I have the older model to that Bosch drill & as as mention earlier it has no problems drilling the harder bricks.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Start slowly with pressure, then ease off pressure and let the drill do the work.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really