Is it possible to reuse tongue and groove hardwood floors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hennerz007, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Hennerz007

Hennerz007 New Member

Afternoon All,

We are having the central heating replaced in our house and I have asked for all the pipes and radiators to be replaced in their existing locations, so the pipes come up from the floor boards.

In the lounge/dining room we have a solid oak tongue and groove floor and several builders/plumbers have said the flooring will have to come up i.e. replaced in its entirety to get access.

Can anyone advise on reusing tongue and groove? I have started to investigate the flooring and the tongue and groove is glued with PVA in a dot dab fashion, so not down the entire length of the tongue and groove. This has proved fairly easy to take around the edges.

My query is, there must be a better solution than paying out for an entire floor (5x8m)?!?!? Is if not possible to remove wood boards locally by the rads to gain enough access to relay pipes, then patch up the flooring?

Or simply take up the flooring carefully and relaying?

I have see many videos and forums of people replacing single damaged wood floor boards so would it not be a case of doing this at the pipe entry for the rads?

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Hennerz

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It can be done but it will never go down again properly. If you're prepared for your floor to look awful go ahead.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some more information would be helpful.

1) is it necessary to replace all the pipes? or have they been fitted above skirting level? and you would like them concealed?

2) Hard for me to say, depends how the run is planed - but surely the whole floor shouldn't have to come up?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You haven't mentioned how they have been fixed down presently? i.e. are they nailed, secret nailed, screwed etc?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You didn't mentioned glued down but it doesn't really matter, you cannot lift a t&g floor and relay it properly, it will always be a bodge job.