Is it really dangerous??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mark Batey, Dec 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mark Batey

Mark Batey New Member

Hi all, it's an asbestos post, probably loads here but I have a unique problem.

The previous occupants of the house we bought decide to attach wooden beams over all of the ceilings. All of them!!! Of course I go in guns blazing and rip out two rooms worth of beams straight away and fill in the holes. Plastered over and painted over.

That was 12 months ago and were getting set to do more work and remove more of the beams. But we come across the information saying the artex covered ceilings moat likely have white artex in them. Our house was built in 1979. We really want to get rid of the beams and having already done two rooms unfortunately we have exposed ourselves to the risk.

My question is, is it that bad? Compared to the fact that asbestos is everywhere anyway. I work on farms and there are hardly tidy places!!

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Depends on how u value u or your families health i guess

3. Mark, was this artex added after/at the same time as the 'beams'? If so, when were the beams fitted?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Artex contained asbestos up to the early to mid 80's, but the only proper way to know whether you have it, is to get it tested.
    Artex is ok if you do not distrub it, so you could get the ceilings skimmed.

Joe95 and Deleted member 164349 like this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Anything pre 2000 could contain asbestos.

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Artex containing ceilings are considered 'low risk' as the fibres are not likely to stick in the lungs and do not break free as easily. Make of that what you will.

Although I would still consider having it all professionally removed. I also would not go near it myself, a want a few more years of life left!

As KIAB says, it presents no immediate danger if it is left unditurbed. Any damage would provoke issues. It is common to just plaster straight over artex ceilings, this would be cheaper than removal and it makes it look nice without the removal process.

CGN likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Waw! How do they get ceilings into artex? :p

8. Mark Batey

Mark Batey New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I have sent off a sample to find out but we are certain it's got asbestos in it.

The beams were fitted at a later date and I have spoke to the previous owner and he confirms that it is the original artex from the build date. The beams cross the hallways upstairs and down and there are 20 or so of them. They are about 6 inches deep and attached with either plaster screws or wood if it's in a joist.

We can't just skim over as we want the beams gone, but it seems the only safe way is to pay a lot of money. boarding over the beams is an option but would obviously loose the 6 inches in ceiling height.

Any other ideas??

Cheers guys

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Surely, if you wear the appropriate clothing and mask etc then removing this stuff can't be that risky, can it?

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Well done for highlighting my mistake, your prize for doing so is a.................................Tube of stixall!:D

I should have started that 'Artex ceilings containing asbestos are considered...':oops:

11. Mark Batey

Mark Batey New Member

I have seen many opinions on this whole asbestos thing. I believe government guidance states that any level exposure is potentially dangerous.

I think the big issue with removing it is the traces that are left behind. I'm sure I could don a suit and mask and rip the lot out in a day but the mess after is the problem.

Maybe if I just asked it nicely to sod off!!!

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Of course any level of exposure is potentially dangerous and its quite difficult for the average Joe to understand the risk, what countermeasures are required to bring the risk down to an acceptable level etc.

The issue you bring up about the traces left behind is a really good one, hadn't thought of that.

Another issue with this kind of removal is that a shed load of mess is made, and the stuff could potentially get all over the house.