Is my work compliant/safe?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by diymostthings, Aug 17, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Just fitted a PIR external lamp to the outside wall of a neighbour's house. It's double insulated and I ran it in 5 amp flex from the lamp (neatly clipped with drip loop!), through a window frame and onto a plug top (2 amp fuse) in the kitchen. Another neighbour looked at it and thought it could be dangerous as the flex is accessible from the ground and there is no protective conduit.

As usual I went into panic mode so wanted to ask if this is OK?

I could imagine it being "non-compliant" if the cable was permanently hard wired into the house wiring but would being fed from a fused plug top make this OK?

Kind regards

diymostthings

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Feed cable into black ip65 adaptable box fitted with stuffing gland at bottom. Out of the stuffer emanates black flex which goes in the bottom of the light unit which is biased to the right or left of box. The bottom of the light unit is slightly higher then the top of the box--this forms swept loop. Dunno about feed setup diy.. it maybe ok at a pinch m8, as to whether it conforms to regs I haven't got a clue tbqh.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Don't really get what you mean exactly. Did you fit an external pir lamp with a length of flex with a plug on the end of it? That plugs into a socket in the kitchen?

4. diymostthings

Thanks JP - well the termination at the lamp is propriety - it came with the lamp so I assume IP rated. I fiited as per instructions. It's the principle of running the exposed feed cable externally to a plug top in the kitchen that I'm querying...

diymostthings

5. diymostthings

Hi Coloumb - yes that's exactly it. No protection on the flex on the outside wall...

diymostthings

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is the socket rcd protected Diy?

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Duuno but if the socket is rcd protected, and the flex used is artic and run in zone where necessary, then it must be reg compliant I suppose Diy. People plug hoovers into a socket.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well then technically it doesn't need to comply with 7671 as it's plugged in but it's slightly muddied in that it's "fixed". Flex suffers from UV so it should really be run in conduit though it will help a lot if the flex is black. Not sure on mechanical protection, I guess it's up to you to make a risk assessment as to whether you think it's liable to get damaged...

9. diymostthings

Yes it is!

diymostthings

10. diymostthings

Yes and lawn mowers!
    diymostthings

11. diymostthings

Thanks again - well its white flex. I think I will run conduit or would plastic
    Yes it is but the lamp is unearthed (IP rated) so RCD would not be relevant?

12. diymostthings

To Coulumb - dont know waht happened then - I was trying to say that I could run it in conduit but perhaps plastic capping would be OK?

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Capping would look a bit **** tbh, trunking would be ok.

14. Would run it in 20mm round plastic conduit,anything else outside looks terrible.
    I think black always looks better outside most of the time.

15. diymostthings

Thanks Deleted member 11267 - well its a white wall so I tried to make the cable blend in. But I think I will definitely re-do it in conduit now.

diymostthings

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Arctic flex? The flex designed to remain flexible at low temperatures to allow you to wind it up, coil it, and generally move it around in the cold........Do you really think a cable that is fixed and stationary and is never moved is going to benefit from Arctic? I'm sure the home owner would love to see some yellow or blue flex clipped to their wall.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't know Lec - never done that kind of thing before..:D

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

OP: Ignore all the above.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes::rolleyes:.....:D

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Years back my then neighbor put up a PIR light in his back yard. He really lashed it up, chucked in a bit of 2.5mm up the wall, a couple of clips and glanded the whole thing off with a round gland rather than a oval one. Eventually the actual light fell off so he tied it back up with a bit of string. I've moved since but it worked for the six years I lived next to it. Still going as far as I know. Makes you think all these regs are bit OTT really.

tore81 likes this.