Is steel wool dangerous?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dogfox2, Feb 20, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some courses affect people differently, seen a 6ft 5, 22 stone behemoth catatonic because a spider was on his hand - not an exotic spider a regular British one :rolleyes:

longboat likes this.
  2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The bigger they are, the more ammusing it is.

But I know how they feel, I've got an irrational phobia too.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The only thing that I dislike is cockroaches, they give me the heebie jeebies!:oops:

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Same here. Even worse when they scurry around in groups:eek:.

5. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Thanks for the replies all. Yes agreed wire wool and caulk is the standard process for rodent proofing: the question is that 'wire' wool is generally steel wool. And my question is where am I safe to put/not put steel wool? Where would exposed terminals be likely to be found?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You wouldn't and shouldn't expect any exposed terminals in a house

7. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

This is going to sound really ignorant but is an "exposed terminal" basically bare wire not shielded by insulation?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Something like this - but these are relatively safe and should have a cover over them. Think of the top of a car battery where you have the two metal bits sticking up

upload_2017-2-21_11-56-51.png

9. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

OK thanks. So realistically I don't know what the danger would be if (as you would expect in a house) there are no exposed wires, everything insulated. Maybe scare-mongering about steel wool-related fires and I have been misadvised?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I left home at 16 and joined the Army.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I was kicked out at 17 hitch hiked round country to look for work never looked back

12. dogfox2

dogfox2 Member

Right anyone else want to comment on whether they think it's a legitimate concern, i.r. mice proofing an old house with steel wool (and caulk). It seems such standard practice (including by professional pest control), so if it's dangerous then surely it wouldn't be such a widespread practice?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Classic! :cool:

KIAB likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

:p:p

16. Speedy23

Speedy23 New Member

Don't think so - AFAK, it's something to do with the thermal conductivity. FWIW, I've never seen sparks coming off an abrasive wheel grinding copper metal.

17. I suspect no fire risk from copper - it's not a reactive metal. Whereas steel does its damnedest to get back to an unwanted state - like rust... :oops:.

18. You have a phobia about being rational.

19. Oops, I forgot - :p

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It is a conductor though.